Saturday, May 11, 2013
It's time to re-evaluate, revise, get back to the basics. Since I started Sparkpeople 2 years ago, I have used the food and and fitness trackers. I have read countless articles and learned a lot. I've taken quizzes and polls and done everything I could to earn sparkpoints. My refrigerator and cabinets are stocked with healthy food. My kitchen includes scales, measuring devices, sharp knives and cutting boards. I could go on. But I want to get to the next point.
In spite of doing some of the right things and losing 40 pounds, I have been struggling lately. I drifted away from Sparkpeople and gained 15 pounds in a year. Since January, I have been faithful to my new, healthy lifestyle again. 12 pounds and some inches have disappeared. Despite my efforts, I am stuck. So I've been researching on Sparkpeople. Here's what I have learned.
1. Start small. I am going back to the beginning and giving myself fast break goals again. SMART ones.
2. I will consistently reward myself, even if I don't have money. I never rewarded myself during my first year. Since returning in January, I set up some rewards and actually did them. The downfall was that all my goals were purchases--some too big for the goal I had achieved. Then money became short and all rewards went to the wayside. I'm still having trouble coming up with "free" rewards, but I will.
3. I will do strength training. I never really felt the need, but after some research, I understand it's importance. I have muscles in my legs that I've never seen before. My abs are strong. BUT I'm a weakling when it comes to upper body strength, especially my arms. I will probably not follow the rules--like working my whole body. I intend to concentrate on my arms. For a little added intensity, I can use risers under my step during step-aerobics. I've done it before, but when I returned to the gym, I ditched the risers because I had lost some of my lower body strength. I think it's time to use them again.
4. I will participate in the community activities. I never really did this before. This blog is a start. I need to become active on the message boards, too.
5. I'm going to join challenges and monitor streaks. I thought this was silly, but have come to realize these things are out there for a reason--they work!
I've tried doing this on my own. It's time to start following the rules now.