Friday, May 10, 2013
A short blog - not my usual "novel."
Yesterday I taught 5 classes with an approximate total of 400 students - skin and breast cancers were the topics. Not sure who was more tired - the students or me. I do like the teachers at this school so much and it is one of the only schools to which I go that students actually thank me for being there. Blown away by the response to the number of students who have a family member or family friend with these cancers - nearly 90% of each class raised their hands. Back there today for about 300 kids.
Visited with our survivor & her husband. They are really struggling with hospital bills and his having lost his part-time job. This woman has been through 50 weeks of chemo & extensive surgery - amazingly strong...until the hospital attorney issued a summons for a court date for about $1500. REALLY?? And it is a hospital that spends thousands on TV ads about how they are all about the patients. Keep in mind that they have already received over $150,000 from her insurance & co-pays. A case of talking the talk but NOT walking the walk.
Okay...Have to head out the door since I'd hoped to leave by 5:45 this morning.
Thank you for reading my ramblings...
1. Gracie & Katie, who are always happy when I come home (even if it is just because I feed them!)
2. Made it through 5 classes of repeating myself yesterday
3. Having time to listen to our survivor
4. Today one of my favorite survivors is sharing her journey with the students so I get to spend time wiht her
5. G-d, on Whom I'm counting to get me through 5 classes today