Wednesday, May 08, 2013
The last few weekends have been absolutely gorgeous around these parts so I have been getting dirty in my backyard. Two weekends ago it was all about cleaning up the branches and twigs that had fallen all over the yard. Lets just say there was quite a lot, took about three bags to get rid of all of them. Had to bust up a big piece of wood that was left behind by the previous owners, which was rather difficult seeing as how I don't have an ax or a saw. Luckily it seems either some termites or some wood beetles got to it so some areas were easier to break apart than others. Eventually it was all broken and bagged.
Which brings us to this past weekend...time to dig out the rest of the middle area where the rose bush is. I decided that I wanted to put mulch around in that area instead of the grass that was there so all the grass that had grown (and weeds) had to be dug out by hand. Was able to get the entire job (grass out and mulch down) in about two and half hours. Finally...the final piece to put down was the new fountain that was purchased from QVC. Here are two pictures of what it now looks like.
Personally I think it looks better with the mulch than it ever did with the grass. I feel like the grass sort of sucks the life from the flowers we have planted there. I also noticed that when we pulled the grass and weeds from near the rose bush last year it seemed to give the bush new life (we had roses blooming almost into winter).
All in all, it was a chore, but well worth it. Next up: Digging up dead grass in the front and back and laying down new seed.