Tuesday, May 07, 2013
My schedule has been crazy busy, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's been two weeks since I blogged. Overall I've been eating well. There have been some days of indulgences, and I haven't been as strict on my eating as I need to be. The reason I have to really watch what I eat closely is that working out is just not happening on a routine basis these days. I still have some tendonitis going on in my foot, and walking or jogging really makes it flare up. I'm pretty frustrated with that, but it's also been a bit of a blessing too. Since I'm not exercising by myself, I do take the time to go out to the pool with the kids. Last year, we had five out of six of them on swim team. One of my seven-year-old twins (Sean) was not ready to learn last year. He has gotten a lot braver this year. I think much of this is due to his participation in other sports. He did two sessions of basketball this year, and is currently playing soccer. I have a pretty good system to teach the kids:
1. Get them going under water and blow out air under water
2. Stop plugging their nose under water
3. Get them to travel under the water somehow (walking, bouncing, pushing off the side)
4. Move on to some kind of free form swim with their faces in or under the water
5. Teach them "big arms" for the freestyle stroke
6. Teach them to somehow take a breath while swimming (usually while doggie paddling)
7. Improve on the breath to try to get it to the side.
We are now to number six with Sean. He has agreed to learn something new or try something new every time we are in the pool. I am bribing him with Oreos and Twix as rewards as well, and promising treats every day of swim team if he tries. This worked for his twin, Bridget, last year.
I am so proud of my little guy!