Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.

    FROSTY99   282,334
250,000-299,999 SparkPoints

This Could have been Devastating!!!

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

We have been experiencing a problem with the electric in our Florida room for a week or two. I would go to do laundry and the washer would not work. I would come in the house and find the breaker had been tripped. We just thought it was because we were using too much on the circuit BUT we hadn't changed anything so it really didn't seem likely but, you know, flip the switch, it works so you set it and forget it!
Well, yesterday DH remarked the refrigerator in there had been off but it was working as he again flipped the breaker. I noticed when we were ready for bed that it had flipped again so I again tripped it back and it immediately tripped again but then when I reset it again, it held. Or so we thought but we heard some strange popping sounds but couldn't see anything SO we headed to bed and to sleep!
When we got back from breakfast this morning, I went to get meat out to thaw for a dinner we are having on Friday and found the refrigerator must have been off all night as it was not cold inside the refrigerator and any food on top of things in the freezer was thawed so I ended up pitching a gallon of milk and a number of cartons of my Greek yogurt and several things in the freezer as it was not worth risking food poisoning - DH's immune system is touchy anyhow. I moved all the items that were still solid to our big freezer and then we got to trying to figure out the problem. Not being electricians, we quickly decided this was bigger than we could handle SO we called for an electrician.
They arrived before 3 and it took them about 15 minutes to figure out we had a line outside leading into the house that had been cut!!! They said it was partially melted and we were extremely lucky that it had not caused a fire!!!! Disaster averted, problem fixed, $$$ spent but priceless knowing we should not burn down because of something we could get fixed. We are very thankful that this was not a tragic situation you hear about on the news.

Member Comments About This Blog Post:
MARTY728 5/10/2013 11:12AM

    Happy you are safe and were able to get it fixed. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
MELAMA210 5/3/2013 4:53PM

    Glad you are safe!

Report Inappropriate Comment
2BEHEALTHY2014 5/3/2013 12:36PM

    I am so happy your house didn't catch fire. So done was definitely looking out for you!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CONTENTCHRIS 5/3/2013 12:07PM

    Wow that is close and good idea to throw out

any meats or dairy. Dairy is bad for us anyways


emoticon for the hassle.


Report Inappropriate Comment
KINEPS 5/2/2013 11:17PM

    Wow Pat -- talk about an angel watching over you! Glad you, dh and your home are safe!

Report Inappropriate Comment
DOODIE59 5/2/2013 6:04PM

    You dodged that bullet! And thank heavens for that. May you have a peaceful and rest filled weekend. It's time you guys had a break!

Report Inappropriate Comment
2WHEELEDSHARON 5/2/2013 12:39PM

    It's scary to think what could have happened, as if you don't have enough to deal with! I'm so very glad it was caught.

Report Inappropriate Comment
CAMEOANDLACE 5/2/2013 8:01AM

    Pat good news for a change huh?

A little food thrown away but other than that SO fortunate!

Report Inappropriate Comment
RASPBERRY56 5/2/2013 7:27AM

    Yikes! Something was definitely watching over you, that's for sure!


Report Inappropriate Comment
WINDSONG~ 5/2/2013 2:40AM

    So glad ALL of you are safe.
Now you can rest and sleep tight knowing thta this isn't going to happen again.

Report Inappropriate Comment
MOMMA_BEAR_69 5/2/2013 12:03AM

    Praise the Lord that you called an electrician and he was able to find and fix the problem!!! Thanking the Lord for his many blessings in your life and mine!!!
Blessings and hugs,

Report Inappropriate Comment
SANDYBREIT 5/1/2013 7:44PM

    Yikes! So glad all turned out well -- we have also discovered wiring issues that were potentially dangerous when we were having some work done on our house, but never that close of call... very freakin' scary!!!


Report Inappropriate Comment
SLENDERELLA61 5/1/2013 6:14PM

    So glad you are safe! That is a scary thing to think about what could have happened. Take care. Be safe. -Marsha

Report Inappropriate Comment
LADYVOLSFAN1954 5/1/2013 5:44PM

    OMG! So thankful it wasn't worse! Brings back memories of when my old house caught on fire due to a frayed wire in the attic. Scary things! So glad you're both ok and it was fixed quickly. Hugs
Ramona emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
OURELEE1 5/1/2013 5:23PM

  Pat your life is always full of surprises So thankful. Everything is o k

Report Inappropriate Comment
FROSTY99 5/1/2013 4:49PM

    The electricians weren't sure-it was near the a/c unit and they thought maybe when it was set on the concrete block it scarred ti wire and over time it has kept wearing away until this happened but they could not be certain! Might have been when the previous owners put the rock in the back yard and it got nicked and again time wore it down-just thankful we didn't catch on fire! The line is now under the house and hopefully not out where it can get cut again!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MSLZZY 5/1/2013 4:47PM

    How on earth did that happen? You are very fortunate indeed! HUGS!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

Log in to post a comment.

Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

Other Entries by FROSTY99