How comes no one told me....
Monday, April 29, 2013
Today I am 14 weeks pregnant with my first child. It has been such a learning experience for me. I read a lot and I listen to a lot of people. I am naturally curious, so I think I am knowledgeable about a lot of stuff. But I am beginning to question my knowledge now, because since pregnancy I realize that there are so many thinks I did not know and I wished someone had told me.
1. Morning sickness can last all day. What I had in my head was me rushing to the bathroom in the morning, throwing up and then going about my merry ways. Not so! I felt sick the whole day. I wasn't vomiting but I just felt sick. I cried a couple of times because I thought I was dying or something. I felt sick constantly for about 5 weeks and one day I woke up and just didn't feel as sick anymore.
2. Pregnancy gas is not normal. Once I felt something running across my belly, When I touched my navel, it was tender. I thought that something was extremely wrong with. I never thought someone could feel so much pain and not be dying. I then ate something and the pain went away. Apparently it was just gas. I have never felt gas pain like that. Not to mention the smell when you do let that gas out. I couldn't stand my own farts. I would go to be praying that I don't fart because it is difficult to stay under the sheets when I do.
3. Violent mood swings. I am a naturally moody person, I know mood swings, but not like these. I swore I was depressed. I would sit down doing something with my BF and I'd say to him "I am going to cry now" and I just burst out crying. Sometimes the world just seems like a sad place that I cannot handle and the next minute I feel like superwoman, I can manage anything.
4. Round ligament pains. This one is recent. I have been having these slight pains at the bottom of my belly. I started wondering if my poor baby was in distress. I told my mother about it and she says it's probably nothing, but I was wondering where did this pain come from? Anyways I went on "What to expect" and everyone in the October baby group was experiencing this pain. So how comes I never knew about it?
5. You are your favourite comedian. Ok, this one may not be happening to a lot of pregnant women, but I find it happening to me. I find myself having funny conversations with myself. I will be in a bad mood and I am talking to myself about it and suddenly I say something funny to myself and It just cracks me up, You would swear I was talking to someone else.
Now I am wondering what other joys of pregnancy are out there that no one is telling me about.
Member Comments About This Blog Post
1563 days ago
Celeste you crack me up!! I think everyone remembers something different and my babies were born years ago. I do remember one thing that happened though. We were building a house and the carpet had just been installed. I decided to lay flat on the floor in our bedroom where our bed would be to see what view out the window I would be waking up to.
I was about 5 months pregnant and suddenly, when I went to get up, I could not move! I had this funny catch in my lower back and it was not letting go. It hurt to try to turn to the right or left and there I was helpless. The rest of the family had moved on back outside and I spent a good 10 minutes yelling "HELP! Finally, the discomfort eased up and I was able to roll to the side to get up. Scarey few moments. I think the baby was positioned just right and it was causing my back to sort of lock up. I hope you don't have that to happen!
1566 days ago
Too funny!! I think we forget about all these little things (well, they seem little now) so we don't share.
I didn't have morning sickness but did have intense cravings for one or two foods. I was very emotional. Commercials, cards, you name it and I was in tears.
And peezing.... yep.
It may seem slow day-to-day but the 40 weeks speeds by. :)
1567 days ago
Oh my Diamond Girl, how funny you are! Baby Jade is already making her mama know who is the ruling the house!
It brought back memories, not missed memories, but ones I can smile about now!
1567 days ago
That's funny! You made me laugh!
Ok the morning sickness I did not have but I did have the emotions and mood swings! The emotions are still there 15 years later! I had vivid dreams too which would then lead to the mood swings. Luckily, that part subsided.
Another one - hating food you normally love and craving food you hate! I hated ranch dressing but craved it with my son. Loved mushrooms but they made me puke and still can't stand them!
And yes, peezing (funny term), squatting to pee in public places and how the heck to wipe well when squeezed in a small stall...
Just remember this will all subside and you'll feel your little one moving and kicking inside you and realize what a miracle. I'll never forget the first time I felt my babies move and I definetly will never forget when our daughter kicked so hard that my husband actually felt it - We laughed for hours about her kicking him in the ar$e.
1568 days ago
Congratulations! Very funny blog! I am almost to 35 weeks and this has been an interesting ride. And very different from my first pregnancy, so some of what I learned or experienced then went out the window. It only gets more interesting from here until the end! Just enjoy it though. You'll be done before you know it.
1569 days ago
Congratulations on your baby! I LOVED your blog because I totally understand what you're going through. I am currently 13 weeks and 5 days pregnant with my third child. I also have suffered from almost every problem you are going through. What I will say is that there are a great many things you will never be fully ready for, but that's just part of the journey your experience. I love that you say you're open to reading and listening to other women's experiences. Just remember that millions of women have been going through this for a LONG time. You will get through this as well and then you will also have something to share with others.
1570 days ago
Whattoexpect.com has some great info too.
Things I didn't know:
Pregnancy is the biggest test of faith I have ever had-prayers help!
Peezing-you pee a little when you sneeze starts much sooner then you might think
There are men who will be fascinated with your growing belly, it's usually men who have had children and remember how it was when their wives went through it
Ultrasounds are not considered standard for prenatal care and may not be covered by your insurance.
This is the fastest 40 weeks ever, try to enjoy the quite times, count your blessings often and pace yourself.
1570 days ago
CONGRATS Celeste on your first pregnancy and well, there are just some things pregnant women forget to mention because we think it bothers other people. Your blog made me smile, laugh and remember. Thanks for sharing!
1571 days ago
OMG Celeste, I laughed reading this - you just forgot a few things:
How hard it is to squat to urinate when at a public place that you don't want to sit
Also, that sometimes, you may urinate on yourself due to baby movements.
(Well, little early for that right now, but keep that in mind)
I was an emotional pregnant woman too!
1571 days ago
Congrats on your pregnancy!
I HIGHLY recommend reading Pregnancy Sucks and Belly Laughs. Both are available on Amazon, and probably at your local library. Both books go into the nitty-gritty of what pregnancy is REALLY like. Fair warning: Belly Laughs is by Jenny McCarthy, and she really doesn't have a filter... They are also both slightly outdated, but almost nothing in the books has changed. Also, get What to Expect When You're Expecting. Be careful with that one though, because it includes lots of scary things that can make a pregnant woman paranoid if she isn't careful. However, it is a GREAT resource.
1571 days ago
on your first pregnancy. I had 3 kids in 3 1/2 years with number four coming 23 months later. I LOVED being pregnant. (Can't tell, can ya? ) I didn't have morning sickness, but certain smells would make me gag. Wood floors, cigarette smoke, B.O., were some of the worst for me.
I found that I started crying at commercials. (I still do.) Ones with little kids and babies, ones about kids going to college, anything family oriented would send the tears flowing. I never thought I was funny, but pregnancy does some weird stuff to a woman!
If you like to write, this would be a good time to journal. I didn't journal during my pregnancy, but I did for the first year of the baby's life. It's fun to go back and read what I wrote. My girls have read their baby journals, too. The boys aren't as interested.
Enjoy this time. I loved knowing I could protect my little one when they were in utero. Good luck, eat healthy and exercise.
1571 days ago
First off on the baby:)
Second, I've never been pregnant so found your blog funny. Hope things ease up for you and I sort of pictured you talking to yourself and cracking up. Tickled my funny bone too
1571 days ago
Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.