Running for Water
Monday, April 29, 2013
So, Saturday I ran in the Oasis 5k to help build a well for clean drinking water in Africa. It was a relatively small race (well, I don't have a lot to compare it to, just the local Susan G komen race which is enormous) but a lot of fun.
I learned several things Saturday.
1) I can run a lot more than I think I can!) I ran a LOT. i'd say almost half the race, I actually ran! not consecutively of course, but my goal time was 50 minutes, and I did it 44:21.
2) My form is really awful, but not as bad as I thought. My shins gave me no trouble. I actually had an easier time running UP the hills than I did going down.
3) I really need to find a running group. I loved the social aspect of the race. Even though I did most of it effectively by myself, the last half mile or so I walked/ran with a super nice lady, and wound up pushing myself a little more than I might otherwise have.
4) I'm in love with running. I really enjoy it, for all I'm terrible at it, and I want to be better. I think that if I'm consistent, I can be.
5) Ow. I know what muscles to train. ;) I've been remiss in my strength training, and I've got to work harder at it.
Here's my overall chip results:
Your 5K time was 44:21
Your pace was 14:16/M
You were number 130 overall
You were number 10 of 13 in your age group 30-34
I want to improve that. I want to place in my age group. I want to run the whole thing.
I really did enjoy the whole experience, and hope to repeat it. I certainly think I need to add more 5ks into my schedule!