Thursday, April 25, 2013
While I love fresh fruit, I'm not big on veggies, which makes it a challenge when it comes to making sure I get enough in my daily diet. I can only eat salads for so long before I start getting bored with them. To help ensure I am getting them in, I've decided to add smoothies to my meal plan, having one daily at least 5 days a week.
Today's smoothie was made with 1 cup of baby spinach, half a small banana, six strawberries, ten grapes and a radish. I threw in a couple tablespoons of flax seeds for the omega 3s and to boost the fiber. It was a little thick so I added a splash of water to thin it out and make it easier to drink.
It was pretty good. I couldn't taste the veggies at all, only the fruit. I could probably get away with sneaking in a little more veggies. I'll try that with tomorrow's smoothie. The flax seeds didn't puree completely. The texture wasn't a major issue, but I'll probably try grinding them in the future before adding them.
Self-compliments for the day
1) I've already got in 3 servings of fruits and veggies today and still have meals left.
2) A job that hubby has been trying to get for a while finally set up an interview.
3) Nutrition-wise, I'm doing great today.
4) Hubby didn't forget our anniversary is coming up.
5) My organization efforts in the house are starting to pay off.