Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.


    ANGELBELIEVER   58,619
SparkPoints
50,000-59,999 SparkPoints
 
 

LOOK BEFORE YOU SWALLOW THAT DRINK!


Thursday, April 25, 2013

This is a true story in our newspaper.


Posted: 04/24/2013
By: Jacqueline Ingles

TAMPA, Fla - A $5,000 diamond meant to make its way on to a necklace or set on a ring made its way into an 80-year-old woman's belly instead.

The Tampa Woman's Club held an event over the weekend where they poured 400 flutes of champagne. Inside each flute was a cubic zirconia, and one of the flutes contained a $5,000 diamond donated by Continental Wholesale Diamond.

"We were laughing and I wasn't paying attention and I took a swallow," said Miriam, who declined to give her last name.

After patrons finished their drinks, the real diamond was nowhere to be found.

"We were going table to table," explained Andrew Meyer, a partner at Continental Wholesale Diamond. "There were 400 flutes so were going quickly table to table and in the end there was no diamond."

Then, an elderly woman came forward and said she accidentally swallowed what was in her flute.

"I thought someone will win this and I won't have to tell them," Miriam explained.

Miriam immediately went to an area hospital for an x-ray only to find out diamonds don't show up on x-ray.

The very next day, Miriam went in for a routine colonoscopy. When she arrived at the doctor's office she gave him some special instructions.

"Be on the lookout for it in case," she recalled telling her doctor.

Her doctor ended up finding the elusive diamond.

"We still had to find out if indeed that was the winning diamond," Miriam said.

On her way home, Miriam stopped by the jewelry store to have the diamond tested.

"She came with it in a bio-hazard bag and it wasn't even cleaned," said Joy Pierson, the store's other partner.

Once the diamond was washed and then steamed it was tested.

"Turned out to be The Real McCoy," Miriam said.

Miriam has decided to keep the diamond in her family, not literally of course, as a heirloom that comes with a great story.

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/d
pp/news/region_tampa/tampa
-woman-accidentally-swallo
ws-5000-diamond-at-charity
-event#ixzz2RaY33olT

Personal note by Elayne: I can't believe the Dr. didn't clean it or have his assistant clean it. Yikes!!!!
SHARE

Member Comments About This Blog Post:
BAMEIBOO 5/4/2013 11:30AM

    My bassett hound once swallowed my diamond ring and my hubby spent a week hosing down the poo:-) :-) luckily he found the ring, we couldn't believe she'd eaten it! I worked in a jewelry store and had it cleaned and the bent prong repaired!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MOMMA_BEAR_69 4/25/2013 11:33PM

    emoticon Unbelievable that they returned it without cleaning it!!! YUK!!!
So glad that I always look in my cup before drinking. Thanks for sharing with us.
Blessings and emoticon
Helen

Report Inappropriate Comment
ELSCO55 4/25/2013 10:34PM

    Yps, they should have cleaned it.

Report Inappropriate Comment
NANCYPAT1 4/25/2013 8:52PM

    Great story

Report Inappropriate Comment
ANHELIC 4/25/2013 8:35PM

    emoticon WOW!!!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MJ7DM33 4/25/2013 6:31PM

  WOW! Thx for sharing!

Report Inappropriate Comment
BARBARASDIET 4/25/2013 5:01PM

    amazing that she didn't feel it in her mouth.

Report Inappropriate Comment
AWESOMECHELZ 4/25/2013 3:10PM

    A very interesting story - WOW! emoticon Chelsea emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
LOOKINGUP2012 4/25/2013 2:32PM

    Amazing!

Report Inappropriate Comment
JOYINKY 4/25/2013 2:15PM

    When I saw the title I was with MJLUVSANIMALS; I thought it was a warning about flying insects being attracted to our drinks now that we're spending more time outdoors. Personally I think putting any foreign object in 400 champagne flutes was a risky venture at best. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
MOVEITMARY 4/25/2013 1:39PM

    Am I the only one stunned by the fact that she didn't make use of the readily available disinfectants at the hospital to CLEAN it?
emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
TWEETYKC00 4/25/2013 1:03PM

    Wow, always pay attention to what you put in your mouth!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MJLUVSANIMALS 4/25/2013 1:01PM

    Lol, and I always look, because if I don't there is always one of these flying bugs in my water (a brave little insect that eluded my cats) So I have learned, cap the water!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Add Your Comment to the Blog Post


Log in to post a comment.