Still here, still smoothie-ing!
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Still smoothie-ing strong. Yes, that's a verb now.
I keep experimenting with fun combinations and ways to get healthy fats and more fiber into my smoothies. The latest winning recipe is:
- 2 cups of water
- 24 cinnamon dusted Blue Diamond almonds (I halve that and use about 10 almonds if I'm making it just for me and not sharing with my husband)
- 1 banana (I halve this too if I'm making it to drink alone)
- 1 apple (I'm on a big Pink Lady kick right now)
- 1 6 oz tub of Greek yogurt (mixing and matching flavors has been awesome!) or 3/4 cup plain
- 1 packet of Quaker Low Sugar oatmeal (I get the variety pack, all the flavors are so yummy)
- 2 big handfuls of chopped kale (or baby spinach could work, too)
The resulting full-calorie smoothie is about 700 calories which is a lot (and a decent amount of sugar), but if you're splitting it... 350 calories isn't a bad breakfast! And when I make my lighter version with less almonds and half a banana, its barely over 500. A hearty fiber filled breakfast with plenty of protein from the Greek yogurt. I'm really digging them! I was expecting to get sick of them by now, but I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm keeping on going!
I'm planning on eventually switching over to unflavored plain Greek yogurt for the smoothies, since the calories from yogurt would drop almost by half and the sugar would decrease a lot too! The sugar in the oatmeal and cinnamon nuts is so small that I think the flavor is worth it! For now (until I use up the flavored yogurt I have!), I'm happy I'm sticking with the formula as it is.
Baby steps. This is a marathon, not a sprint race.