Monday, April 22, 2013
In my previous blog, "Top 10 Foods To Lower Cholesterol - #1 - Almonds", one of the ingredients in the Almond Carrots recipe was almond extract. I came across this recipe on how to actually make homemade almond extract and I thought some just may be interested to give it a try.
12 whole raw almonds (skinless)
16 oz. vodka
16 oz. dark glass bottle with tight-fitting lid
1. Drop the almonds into the bottom of the your dark glass bottle. (See tips below.)
2. Pour the vodka over the almonds and fill to the top of the bottle. Put the lid on and close tightly.
3. Place the vodka and almond mixture in a cool and dark place, like a pantry or garage, and let the mixture sit for 2 months.
4. Shake the mixture every 3 to 5 days for the entire 2 month period. Do not remove the lid. (Some suggest shaking it every day.)
5. Once the mixture has set for 2 months it is ready to be used. Continue to store it in a cool and dry place.
Dark bottles work best for making extracts, but if you can't find a dark bottle, you can simply use a regular clear glass bottle.
Also, for a stronger almond flavour, it's best to grind the almonds first until they're the size of course salt. This helps the vodka to extract all the nutrients from the almond. At the end of the two months, strain and put the clear liquid back in bottle. Apparently with time the alcohol smell lessens.
Sounds easy peasy!