Don and I went to the market yesterday, and found some of the most wonderful imported Oranges. These are like the enormous ones I used to get in Louisiana! We bought a bag of them, which was a little expensive, but it is cheaper than buying junk food. It has been over a year since I had an orange like this. This is Tanzania, but even local oranges are out of season. I was craving mandarin oranges, but they are nowhere to be found.
Don and I ate 3 huge oranges, 2 mango and a couple of bananas yesterday! A real fruit feast! I started to feel guilty about the price of the bag of oranges- $6.50. Then I added up some of the junk food I used to buy for when we had the munchies...Cookies, potato chips, candy bars...you know what I mean. So we don't have any of those in the house. All added up saved us a good 10 bucks, so we actually saved money.
I have heard people make the excuse that it is expensive to eat healthy....hmmmmmm...REALLY?
Let's think about the benefits of eating unhealthy vs healthy:
1. Eating too many processed foods contribute to all sorts of health issues. High blood pressure, Diabetes, and Heart disease, just to name a few.
2. Let's be real. Eating the wrong foods makes us feel sluggish. It might taste good, but it doesn't take long for the effects of all those sugars, fats, and salt, to make us turn into couch potatoes.
3. Weight gain if inevitable for most people who make poor food choices, which means we become overweight, which puts stress on our entire body.
4. Here is a reality check for those with children. They learn from our behaviors. If we eat unhealthy, they will most likely think that it is the normal way to eat. They will have a higher chance to become overweight and obese by not eating healthy.
1. We feel so much better when we treat food like fuel and give our bodies the proper fuel to run.
2. It cuts down on cravings when we give our bodies what they need.
3. We have more energy to do the things we love to do.
4. We lose weight, which lowers our risk for so many diseases, and can even reverse high blood pressure and control blood sugar.
Feel free to add to the Unhealthy vs. Healthy eating lists....It will help keep you make good food choices.