My mother is visiting. And while that's a good thing, I'm exhausted. I'm an introvert - I like my quiet and alone time. She's the exact opposite - needs to be talking ALL of the time. Makes it very difficult for me to get away and write a blog entry. So I'm going to need to do something quick here - share another recipe from this week!
When looking for good gluten free recipes, the grocery stores in my area seem to be good sources. Both Stop and Shop and Wegmans make going wheatless pretty simple (Wegmans even has a section of the store dedicated to gluten free products).
Anyway, I was disappointed when I wanted to make spaghetti squash with sausage the other night and couldn't find spaghetti squash anywhere! I needed something to pair with my sausage, so I tried this recipe from Stop and Shop instead. It took me very little prep time - 8 minutes maybe?
I had all of the ingredients, but did not have a ramekin, so - once again - I could not make it look as pretty as it did in the picture. No matter, it traveled well for my lunch and I would definitely make it again:
Made a pretty satisfying lunch also!
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 green and red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups uncooked long grain rice
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Nonstick cooking spray
3 cups fresh salsa
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the red pepper, shallots, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add the rice and stir well. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook about 17 minutes, until rice is tender. Mix in the cilantro.
4. Spray 6 small ramekins with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon rice into the ramekins, pressing down firmly with back of a spoon. Turn the ramekins upside down on the center of 6 plates or bowls to unmold rice OR - just spoon rice into a bowl like I did. Who cares what it looks like?
5. Enjoy! Makes 6 1-cup servings
- Calories: 240
- Carbs: 46g
- Fat: 3.5g
- Protein: 6g