Friday, April 19, 2013
I knew it felt like a long time since I've been here! The week has been busy, and I've only done so-so. Unfortunately I am off track with my May 10th goal; for the first two weeks I was on target, but I am hovering around 134-136 lbs with no sign of it budging (and no real expectations for it to do so as I have binged a few times).
Anyway, I'm here since Thursday is my meeting with my advisor and so I feel a bit more relaxed after that.
I made my emergency list of skills so I thought I'd share it. It's roughly in order of what I think I've found works best for me. It changes depending on the severity of how I'm feeling.
1. journal or diary card: describe situation, focus on positive, identify and counter distorted thoughts
2. reach out to support: visit SparkPeople, call/text a friend
3. look at motivation: visit SparkPeople, look at motivational quotes
4. remember long term goals, consider pros/cons
5. go outside or otherwise change environment
6. deep breathing, mindfulness, meditation
7. remember how it feels afterwards (immediately, and the days after)
8. grooming: brush teeth, lotion, clip nails
9. work on CBT thought record
10. sketch or color
11. phsyical activity: go to yoga, walk, punch a pillow
12. take care of chores, mechanical tasks
13. low-demand leisure distractions for x minutes: internet browsing, watch one episode of a tv show
14. listen to motivating music
15. spend time with a pet
16. take meds if appropriate
17. hide in bed and refuse to leave
I actually came here because I started to overeat and was having an urge to continue it... I gave in a lot to those feelings the past week because they were a bit more overwhelming, but the least I can do is try to fight them when I can, and at the moment I know I can fight this.
+ I went into work today...yes, the Fridays that I have avoided for so long. I limited myself to 2 bagels and I was ok with that! I also got free fruit because I moved to a new building and this place gets fruit as well as bagels on Friday. :)
+ Even though I ended up overeating in the end, I am proud of myself for checking in with my hunger prior to having lunch.
+ I skipped some morning activities this past week, but it was for the purpose of trying to make sure that I got enough sleep, as I've been putting in later hours trying really hard to work on school stuff.