Friday, April 19, 2013
There are 2 types of fat in the body:
1. White Adipose Tissue (WAT): WAT is what we normally refer to as �body fat�. We want to burn white fat, BUT brown fat is beneficial because it helps burn calories and burn the unhealthy WAT.
2. Brown Adipose Tissue (BAT): BAT is composed of iron-containing mitochondria (powerhouse of cells), which is best known for creating ATP (energy)...the more mitochondria = more energy! BAT helps use excess calories for heat. If you use proper techniques, you can use BAT to your advantage so excess calories aren't stored as WAT which ends up as undesired belly fat. Cold stimulates BAT to burn excess fat and glucose for energy. This is why Michael Phelps can consume over 12,000 calories/day. He isn't just exercising that much, the cool water of the pool stimulates BAT therefore he needs extra calories to keep the weight from piling off.
1. Use ice packs on the back/neck for 30-60 minutes while relaxing at night when insulin levels are higher and more sensitive.
2. Soak your feet in cold water at night or right away in AM when you first wake up. This will stimulate heat throughout the day.
3. Suck on ice cubes throughout the day. I sweeten the ice with Pina Colada Capella drops.
4. Have a snowcone for dessert with capella drops OR flavored stevia drops like Root Beer.
5. Take a cold shower upon arising.
6. Lower the temperature in your house by 5 degrees.
Drinking ice water = burn 60 calories
Sucking on 6 flavored ice cubes = burn 60 calories
Soaking feet in ice water for 5 minutes = burn 90 calories
Placing ice packs on body for 30 minutes = burn 100 calories
Lowering house temperature by 5 degrees = burn 100 calories/day
3 minute shower at 75 degrees F = burn 120 calories
That's 500 calories!
Women typically have twice as much brown fat as men, so take advantage of it!!!