Wednesday, April 10, 2013
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 large Vidalia or other onion, thinly sliced
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded ruby Swiss chard
1 cup (about 2 oz.) thinly sliced mushrooms
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped apple
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour*
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 large eggs**
1 cup shredded Jarlsberg cheese**
1/2 cup skim milk**
1 9-inch deep-dish pie crust, unbaked*
*Use gluten free substitute if intolerant
** use vegan subsitute if desired
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Heat oil and butter in large skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and sauté onions until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
3. Add Swiss chard, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms and chard are soft, about 7 minutes.
4. Combine apples, flour and nutmeg in mixing bowl, and toss to coat apples. Combine eggs, cheese and milk in separate bowl, and beat until ingredients are well blended. Fold in apple mixture.
5. Spoon chard mixture into pie crust. Pour egg-cheese-apple mixture over top.
6. Bake 35 to 45 minutes, or until cheese mixture is set and top is browned. Cool slightly before slicing, and serve.