Day 1 in DC = Success

Saturday, April 06, 2013

I arrived in DC today to go to the American Association for Cancer Research annual meeting. There wasn't really anything going on today so I got up early, flew out here, and then made it to our hotel by 12:45ish. Since they let us check in early, we threw our stuff upstairs and my co-worker and I headed out.

The cherry blossoms were supposed to peak today through the 8th -- but they really weren't open yet very much. Anyway, we walked from 13th/L near Lincoln Circle-ish (I think?) down to the White House... then down past the Washington Monument... down past the WWII memorial... the reflecting pool... the Lincoln Memorial... and aaaaaaaaaaaalllllll the way down to the Jefferson Memorial past the MLK memorial. We took the scenic cherry blossom route apparently. Then down past the wharf area. Up 7th to Chinatown to eat! Finally back to the Convention Center. Registered. Walked back to the hotel.

Sat around and rested our feet... then I wanted to go to Whole Foods. I needed some fruit. I was craving fruit after my day severely lacking in freggies and water. I packed an empty water bottle with me for the conference, but I didn't plan on walking over 19,000 steps by the end of the day! That's somewhere between 8-9 miles I think. CrAaAaZy! No wonder my calves are sore. And I just have even more walking for the next few days.

Now the AACR conference 2011 was kind of a turning point for me. I was fat. My conference clothes didn't fit. I had lost weight in 2010 and gotten new pants, but for 2011 I had to put on my old fat pants again. I was out of the teens and back into my size 20 Lane Bryant pants. That sucked. That number hurt. So I weighed myself and went to the conference.

Food is super expensive at these things + walking A LOT = I lost weight. Just a few days of eating less and eating healthy options + exercise = losing weight. From then on it clicked.

The last few weeks I've been hella stressed, putting it mildly. I've had to resort to some anti-anxiety meds lately just to be able to be around my boss honestly. I also had an EndNote fiasco of epic proportions, that I caught soon enough to fix but when your 350+ references turn into 169 and magically half of them say 161 "INVALID CITATION!!!" your heart dies a little bit. I was able to fix it, but that was a full on panic attack/crying fit/freak out. I spent the next four hours-five hours fixing it. *thank god for Macs and Time Machine! Then I spent another half hour fixing my poster which my boss kept tweaking. Then I spent 2 hours-ish packing and cleaning. So I went to bed at 1am, got up at 6am the next day to finish packing the car and cleaning the fridge out -- I can't leave a messy kitchen/fridge if I know I'm leaving.

Now here's a true hint of how stressed I was; I got a Brazillian right before I left town and it was RELAXING. Seriously. My head was meeeeeessed up. In other news -- they're not that bad people, or I'm just super weird. I'm probably just super weird ;-)

Friday I drove home to have some puppy therapy with my furbabies. They let me brush them for like an hour. They needed attention bad from their momma. I'm thinking about taking them back with me next week for puppy cuddles; but I probably shouldn't :-/ I ended up seeing my Gma at her home. She's out of it, almost gone, so its hard. We fed her dinner to make sure she ate, and dropped of her laundry (she has really nice stuff so my dad and uncle still make sure she has her laundry dry cleaned or washed by my mom so it isn't stolen -- her stuff got stolen the FIRST day she moved in there, grrr). Then went to bed at like 9pm.

Got up at 5:30 -- to fly to DC today, and haven't stopped moving. Or worked on my thesis. It was SO GORGEOUS outside here today that I just got in some super good exercise minutes (hello 200! Just TODAY!), and some vitamin D!

Tomorrow I'm taking my laptop with me to the conference. If I carry it, I will work on my thesis right? And I will eat the apple and orange and almonds I brought with me to have healthy snacks? Right? I'm planning to anyway. I wouldn't mind using this as a healthy kick-start again. I've been on a carb/sugar/caffeine/pleasegodl
etmegraduate/omnomnom bender for the last few weeks. I honestly am NOT looking at a scale until after graduation. I think that's a good thing for me to avoid.

Anyway, its 9PM I'm exhausted, and I'm getting up at 6AM to do it all again tomorrow!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • HFAYE81
    When I went to DC a few years ago, we racked up 6-9 miles a day for 3 days. The first and second day we were dead tired, the last day we were used to it. When I got home? I REALLY missed being in such a pedestrian friendly city!!!

    You will make it, just keep pushing!! I hope you can find some stress outlets!
    1785 days ago
  • SLEE103
    Holy walking batman! I mean one can expect to do a lot of walking in DC, but that amount is just absurd! Yeah, this year was late for the blossoms. They ended up peaking probably around the 9-10th...we went around that area the weekend of the 13 and while they were still pretty they were mostly past. Sorry I didn't advise where to eat in Chinatown, hope you found some good things!
    1785 days ago
    I was in DC the 9-13 and the blossoms were amazing! I didn't have a pedometer or hrm with me so I have no accurate idea of many steps/miles we trekked, but I'm sure it was ridiculous!

    Hope you had a lovely time!
    1793 days ago
    I had the same spa treatment a few days before I defended and had the same reaction! I'm going to say it's another one of those 'signs you're writing your thesis.' I hope your conference gives you a chance to clear your head and reset. Enjoy!
    1809 days ago
    sounds like a beautiful place to visit. I'll have to check it out sometime.
    1809 days ago
    One of my favorite places.
    1809 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.