Friday is yoga/pilates day at Kaia FIT, and while that sounds like it would be relaxing, it's totally not!
Our coach wants to get our heart rates way up before moving into yoga, and each time, the routine is different. Today, we started with 10 minutes or so of an AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) circuit. We did 10 reps of each exercise:
* Squat thrusts (almost like a burpee)
* Russian twists
* Squats with 10-lb medicine ball
* Push-ups (I'm on my knees)
* Reverse crunches
* Ball-ups (I cannot go from flat on my back to up in a ball! I just do what I can.)
* Laundry loaders (woodchoppers, cross body foot to shoulder press with 10-lb medicine ball)
* Sit-ups (crunches for me)
I got through 2 rounds, plus 2 more squat thrusts. Whew. My heart rate was up for sure.
Now that I was drenched in sweat and could barely see straight, we moved in to the yoga portion of things. I basically do not stop sweating for the rest of the hour. We're doing fairly basic sun salutations and it all flows together, but getting my heart rate up like that in the beginning wears me out! It's a really tough workout for me. Plus, my balance is not as good as it was last year and I struggle with occasional foot cramps. I'm sure those will lessen as my feet get stronger.
Each week, during the final portion where you lie in silence and relax/let go, I end up crying. I was able to stop myself this morning, but then I also left feeling not as relaxed and fluid as I normally do. I guess I need to release some stuff!