Friday, April 05, 2013
So Tuesday there was a mandatory meeting at work and they told us the lab would be closing in 60 days (since there are so many that lost their jobs, they had to give a 60 day notice).
There are now a large number of BSMT or MLT, and other lab folks that will want a job come the end of June or early July since the company staggered the end dates for the lab.
We will get a severance for the years worked, if you stay till your end date…so it makes it hard for some to look for that new job until this one is done.
But of course, you can use that severance to help you move to another location in the company and not lose any of that severance if you choose to do this before the end date on your walking papers.
I’ve never been through this before and it is surreal.
I normally try to be a positive influence at work. Happy and trying to get others to see the bright side of things when I can could because our jobs are were very stressful. But I haven’t been very positive….I have been crying along side everyone. Sitting and listening in disbelief as the few that will be left start making plans of what they want to take for their office or do with a space when we are all gone.
The QA coordinator, who is keeping her job, told me later on Tuesday of her plans for my office. I asked her if she could wait till my fat a** is gone for good..she looked at me as she was in disbelief that I said that to her. Since then, I haven’t been talking to my friend very much.
One of the many things that stinks, is that I now have to train my boss and the coordinator how to do the job that I have done for over 7 years. You see I was the QA Analyst for all of the area STAT and satellite labs and those labs will still be in operation. But with our lab, which was the main lab in our region, closing the QA manager and coordinator will simply switch to my job functions. I understand that it is a business, but it still stinks.
Phoenix, or not to Phoenix?
I was offered a job within the company as a QA manager in Phoenix AZ but we didn’t take it back in February. Because we couldn’t afford the moving expense and because my family and friends are here we decided it wasn’t a good idea to take it.
That job is still there…just waiting for me. The divisional QA manager knew that this closure was going to occur, but he couldn’t tell me that when that job first came open. All he could say is that he thought of me first for the poison and really wanted me to take it. He did remind me that this closure “rumor” had been floating around for the last few years and that it COULD happen someday, but the Phoenix lab is larger and never has been close to the closure list.
He has been doing his job and the QA manager job, waiting for me…I guess that I need to look at this again….since it is a step up in the company, more pay…and only 1200 plus miles from the grandson, daughters, other family…