It's been a while since I last posted. Being busy with work and tending to Art through his various surgeries over the past few weeks seem to set me up for falling off the proverbial wagon. I was not exercising as I had been in the past and I certainly wasn't eating the right things, tending to go for whatever was fastest and easiest, often caving into my worst cravings. But now that the pressure from work has let up (some what) and Art is recovering very well from his neck surgery, it's time I devote myself again to what's important to me - maintaining a healthier lifestyle with plenty of time for exercise and making better choices with what I eat. With that being said, here are my goals for the month of April...
1) I will lose 5 pounds this month by choosing better and healthier foods. While not ready to commit to using the regular tracker, I will use the quick tracker to monitor the amount of fruits and vegetables I eat. I will aim to have at least 5-7 servings of fresh fruit or vegetables every day. I will have fruit without adding sugar and eat fresh vegetables with a small amount of cream cheese or salad dressing and for cooked vegetables, no added butter.
2) I will continue to use the plethora of Wii games I now own. My first round of exercise will be on the Wii Fit Plus and using the balance board for a minimum of 20 minutes, followed by 20 - 30 minutes using my elliptical trainer or any of the other Wii games that I have particularly EXERBEAT, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout, or Gold's Gym Dance Workout. I will not avoid exercises that I traditionally have avoided like anything with ducking and/or weaving in GGCW and the Latin Dance in GGDW. Learning a new skill is always a challenge and it's good to stretch my mind and body in ways that are sometimes uncomfortable. Change is good and variety prevents boredom.
3) I will limit my internet usage to a maximum of 1.5 hours a day. (This is a hard one for me because as other people use the TV as a distraction and a mindless activity, I often will just surf the net for HOURS at a time just to unwind from the stressors of the day. Limiting my access to the internet and emails means that I will have time for other things that are probably better stress relievers like taking a walk with the dogs and Art, practicing the piano, studying music theory with all the various software I have, or visiting with friends and neighbors.
4) I will limit my snacking of salty things like popcorn, chips, CHEETOS, crackers, nuts, etc. to every other day or so maximum instead of every night.
5) Likewise, I will limit my desserts intake to every other day or so as well. I do not need to have a bowl of ice cream every night. I do not need to make iced coffees with half and half and sugar(!) every night. I do not need to eat cookies every night. And most importantly, I do not need to get into the cycle of salty, sweeet, salty, sweet every night. Instead, I will have as much fruit or chopped vegetables as a snack to not only increase my freggie intake but because they taste good!
6) For the month of April, I will not stop at McDonald's or Taco Bell or any of the fast food restaurants on the way home from work just because I am bored or tired and I think I need some comfort food. I will make sure that I pack a healthy lunch with appropriate snacks to have mid-morning and on the way home from work. For my cravings for milk shakes, I will instead have a protein drink (well chilled) to sip on the way home. An apple will also be helpful to give me something crunchy to chew while sitting in traffic instead of mindlessly grazing on a bag of chips.
7) Along that same vein, I will not stop at a gas station/convenience store unless I need to fill up with gas. I will not purchase a small bag of chips for $1.49 to snack on the way home. Instead I will have my apple and protein drink and the occasional pre-measured snack of Cheetos or chips or nuts at a greatly reduced price by buying a moderate size bag and premeasuring the portions into single size servings. I will not have multiple bags of premeasured treats because they are only 150 calories per portion. A small amount will satisfy my cravings for these "junk" foods and one serving means one serving.
8) Finally, I will stop consuming Diet Pepsi at every lunch and dinner. Instead, I will enjoy the fresh taste of water with a squeeze of lemon or lime. I will consume at least 8 glasses of water minimum and enjoy the refreshing taste of iced herbal teas (unsweetened) as a supplement to my water intake.
These are my goals for this month and I will report on my progress weekly in a blog posting as well as weigh myself officially once per week.
I could use some support from my Spark Friends to assist me in achieving my goals.
Thanks and much strength to all of us as we achieve our April goals.