Spring HLC Results & Final Recap
Tuesday, April 02, 2013
For the past 8 weeks, I have participated in a Springtime Healthy Living Challenge on one of my sparkteams. At the beginning of the challenge, I weighed 278 pounds, and I set a goal to lose 20 pounds. As of this morning, I've achieved that (and then some!)
Here are some of the the stats:
Starting Week - 2/4/13
Upper Arm: 16.5
Week 8 - 4/1/13
Total Loss of 20.8 pounds! Goal Achieved!!!
Upper Arm: 14
During this challenge, I really pushed myself. I was still on medical restriction from my surgery in December, so the only working out I could do was walking.
In January, I walked 242 miles and lost 15 pounds.
In February, I walked 385 miles and lost 12 pounds.
In March, I walked 329 miles and lost 8 pounds (I also went on vacation for a week and managed to essentially maintain my loss).
March also was the month that I got medically cleared to do more intensive workouts. I joined the Y, started going to as many classes as possible, and restarted Couch to 5K on 3/4/2013. Finally, I discovered dietbet, and took on the challenge to lose 4% of my body weight in 28 days.
I've been discovering lots of motivational websites along the way. One of my favourites is the Ripped Goddess facebook page. I've always really admired strength, and this page really focuses on the beauty of that strength. She's always posting motivational pictures, quotes, and (my personal favourite) transformation stories. One day I hope to submit my own pictures and story. I am determined to be a success story!!!
One of the challenges for the final week of the HLC asked us to create a description of ourselves as we really are. We were also asked to include 7 positive things about ourselves in that description. I already posted this on my team's message board, but I also wanted to save a copy here, as a reminder for whenever things get tough.
1. I'm adventurous. I love trying new things and experiencing everything life has to offer.
2. I'm compassionate. I genuinely care about other people and want them to be happy.
3. I'm stronger than every single one of my excuses. I've faced hardships and overcome them. I am fierce!
4. I'm a good mom. I adore my kids and I want to do whatever I can to make sure that they have every opportunity to become who they are. I try to give them all sorts of opportunities to have diverse, fun, exciting new experiences, because I never know what they'll gravitate towards.
5. I'm passionate about lots of different things. I don't do much without giving my all.
6. I'm fiercely loyal.
7. I'm introspective, self-aware, and emotionally intelligent. I think it's important to understand the "why's" behind human behavior.
It would take ages to accurately describe who I am. There are so many layers and nuances and little experiences that have shaped me. I play many roles: woman, wife, mother, friend, sister, social worker, the list goes on and on. I am strong -- much moreso than I ever thought possible. I am committed. I want to live the best and fullest life possible. And most of all, I want to find happiness for myself as well as bring happiness to others.
This has been such a great experience for me. I am so grateful to my teammates, who provided endless inspiration, motivation and support. I can't wait to do it all again next time around!
As for now, I'll just keep plugging away. I've lost 36 pounds since January 1, and I still have a long way to go. I'm sure there will be bumps along the road somewhere, and unexpected obstacles. Life certainly has a tendency to disrupt even the best laid plans. But as long as I keep moving forward, I truly don't see how I can possibly fail. Right now, at least, I'm feeling pretty invincible!