Sunday, March 31, 2013
Looking back at my goals for March, this is how I did.
1. Blog twice a week to track progress and monitor stress in my life.
I blogged 8 times this month, including this one. It was helpful in noticing when I was stressing and making sure I dealt with it in constructive ways like meditating and exercising. I will keep this up. I also did the Oprah Winfrey/Deepak Chopra 21 Day Meditation Challenge and have really gotten a lot out of it. Itís helped me relax and work through some things that were upsetting me, so I really want to make it a regular part of my life.
2. Eat between 1250 and 1550 calories a day for 6 out of 7 days a week. Drinks only once a week, and not more than two on any given night.
Since I posted my goals on March 4th, Iíve gone over my calorie goals 5 times, one more than I planned. Iím pretty happy with that! I didnít do so well on drinks, though. Only once the first week, but 3 times each of the following weeks. The second week I had dinner at my sisters, happy hour with girlfriends and went out with friends before the Pink concert. The third week was my trip to Florida to visit my brother and sister-in-law and family. The fourth week the end of the Florida trip, happy hour with colleagues, and a few drinks with my best friend who was struggling with a loss. Only twice did I have more than two drinks, but itís definitely more than I had planned. I have to think about this. Drinking is kind of a social thing for me, but since I go out a fair amount -- more than I realized Ė I need to find a way to moderate. Maybe just have one drink some nights, or have soda water with lime more often. A couple years ago when I lost a lot of weight, I completely quit drinking for a couple months, but I donít really want to do that this time. I want to do better with moderation. Setting a limit of not more than two drinks on any occasion seemed to work, so maybe setting a limit of not more than 4 drinks a week would be a reasonable limit. This time, I want to create habits that are sustainable, so when I get to my goal, I can maintain my weight loss.
3. Cardio at least 3 days a week for now.
A+ on this one, and actually exceeded my goal most weeks, adding a four mile walk on Saturdays. Running is going well but Iíve been mixing in elliptical training, so I donít overdo the running. Really LOVING it that I can run again, but still plan to add some biking when it warms up some more.
4. Strength training twice a week and yoga at least once week.
Achieved this goal three weeks out of four, and the fourth week I did two yoga practices and one strength workout. I havenít figured out how best to track this yet so I can check my progress easily, it is a work in progress. I have been mixing my PT exercises in with the New Rules of Lifting workouts, but looking to increase the NROL workouts.
5. Weigh myself and take measurements every week. Looking for more progress! Beginning at 153.8.
So here is where I see whether all of this is working. And Ö.I tracked every week and went from 153.8 to 148.8. Five pounds lost! I am really happy with thisÖ. Iíve never been someone who loses weight quickly and thatís fine with me. I think if I take it off slowly and build good habits, Iím more likely to keep it off.
So, here are my goals for April.
1. Stress management: keep blogging a couple times a week to monitor stress and work through it. Meditate regularly, preferably in the morning, but Iím not going to track it or stress out if I miss a few days.
2. Stay within my calorie goals 6 days out of 7 every week. I noticed that when I did go over each week, it wasnít by a large amount, and as well, I was at the lower end of the range on many of the other days. Iíll try to keep that up.
3. Drinks: not more than 4 per week, or more than 2 on any given night. Like I said, I want to build sustainable habits, and this seems reasonable.
4. Cardio at least 3 times a week. Woot! I have been trying to bring down my time little by little and would like to be able to get back to running 11 minute mile on my 4 mile runs, but that will have to be a work in progress. I am patient!
5. Strength training and/or yoga 3 times per week. I am going to shoot for two NROL sessions on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, with one yoga either Wednesday or Saturday.
6. Take one rest and recovery day per week. Iíve been taking Sundayís and itís been pretty nice.
7. Track weight every Saturday and take measurements the last Saturday of the month. I'm at 148.8 now and if I keep to these goals, I believe I will see progress!
Cheers to all my Sparkly friends and wishing you happiness and success in the coming month!