80,000-99,999 SparkPoints 86,609

Which to do?

Sunday, March 24, 2013

So...dh is doing good. We are in the process of filling out retirement paperwork. important decision needs to be made on whether to get the Survivor Benefit Plan insurance or not. It means the kids & I will receive retirement pay if something should happen to him. But, of course that will mean less retirement pay now in order to cover the SBP payments. I have no idea what to do? My parents, back when they had to decide the same thing - opted out of it. They are both still alive in their 80's. However, I think of damage done to husband's pancreas and wonder if it will heal completely or be scarred for life & fail him?

This isn't a subject anyone wants to think about...but the decision has to be made now (upon retirement). Can't get it later.

Have been praying & no clear answer yet.

What would you do?
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    To answer your question for me personally, I would feel it was important to give my husband the hope and confidence of me saying, "We're going to keep you strong and healthy; I'm planning on a long life together!" That's just my own approach. God has promised to guide you as you decide.

    Diabetics can live for many years with a non-functioning pancreas, leading full and happy lives. Whatever your choice about the finances, I encourage you to help your husband feel he has good prospects and that you want him around a long time!
    1698 days ago
    I think financial decisions are the hardest for me to make. Pray on it. Good luck.
    1699 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by CAMEOSUN