40,000-49,999 SparkPoints 42,500

Ups, Downs, and In-Betweens

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Life right now fluctuates between feeling normal, extremely stressful situations and even some moments of true happiness.

I'll start with the normal stuff: Hubby bowled with the boys in their league Thursday night for the first tie since before he went to the hospital in early February. it was so nice to have him doing something normal, and I know he wanted to try it, even though he was a little leery of disturbing that catheter tube that goes into his bladder through a hole in his tummy. But he bowled, and he bowled really well, he had over a 600 series, which if you bowl, you know that means he averaged over 200 for each of the three games. Not bad, for an old, sick guy, who hadn't bowled in over 6 weeks! I was so proud of him.

As I mentioned his catheter had plugged Mon. morning at work. He came home at lunchtime and got it unplugged himself. I think, we should have gone to see the doctor then, but he is still avoiding going to the doctor whenever he can.

After bowling he disappeared into the men's restroom for way too long. I worried. Finally he came out and I asked him if he was okay. "I'm fine," he told me, so we headed to Olive Garden, where we met our family for dinner after bowling, as is our tradition. As soon as we got there, once again, he disappeared into the bathroom and was gone for a long time. When he came back, once again I asked, "Are you alright?' He said, "Yes," and we ate our salads. But when his dinner arrived, he took a few bites and went back to the bathroom. By that time I knew he was NOT fine and when he finally came back I said "We need to go," and handed our youngest son money for our dinner bill.

I asked if we needed to stop at the ER on the way home, guessing by now that his problem was once again a plugged catheter. "No," he said. "I just want to go home." At home, he worked and worked, even requesting a wire from the shed to try to get that catheter going again. I knew that was not a good idea and again begged him to let me take him to the ER. Finally, after his efforts failed, he agreed, and off we went.

In the ER, they took an ultrasound to see if the bladder was full before they would do anything else. Then they tried to irrigate the catheter, but it didn't work. The plug was in the cord that was inside of him, evidently, so they had to call his doctor and get permission to put in a new tube. Of course that took time and hubby had not urinated in a long time at this point and was so terribly uncomfortable. When the on-call urologist from his doctor's office said, "Go ahead," they of course had to wait for a tube to arrive from supply. It took forever. Hubby was miserable. He paced in the small ER room, around and around the gurney he paced, and I too was miserable, sick inside, knowing how uncomfortable he was and unable to help him. Finally an older lady came down (I was looking through the curtains as hubby paced--hoping to see that tube delivered SOON!) and brought the tube we needed. Of course as soon as they pulled out the old tube, pee gushed out of the hole in his belly. They apologized, because of course pee was everywhere, even though they were trying to soak it up. But it also was providing immediate relief, which was a Godsend. They had to wait for the bladder to empty and quit spewing out the hole, so they could dry it off, and sterilize it before putting in the new tube, and I'm thinking, "So why didn't they take out the damned tube while we were waiting for the new one? It certainly would have given hubby some much needed relief!" But what do I know? Next time....if it happens again....we will sure offer that advice to the health care "professionals."

We didn't get home until about 2 a.m., but hubby got up before 6 and was at work by 7:30 as usual. He put in a full day and even met me for lunch, as we do on Fridays.

Doesn't he look tired? He was!

We are invited to oldest son and daughter-in-law's tonight for dinner. That is an "UP" for us. We don't get invited there often, but it is always a special time when the family gets together anywhere and even more special for me, when I don't have to do the cooking and cleaning up! I asked son what I could bring and he said, "Frozen Fruit Salad." Well, that is fine, and I wanted to please him (I'm a people pleaser from way back), so I said sure, knowing I would need to get the ingredients for it at the grocery store and make it Friday night, (he told me this about 7:30 Friday night!), so it would be frozen by dinner time Saturday night. About 10:30 last night, Lola & I headed to the grocery store, and I spent the next couple hours making frozen fruit salad (which is delicious--but very involved--and not as low-cal as you would think a "fruit" salad should be), and cleaning up. So I had two late nights in a row, but that's okay, because I can sleep until 9 a.m. if I want--and I did!

Thursday night, while hubby was bowling, I was at Dance Class with my granddaughters. They are such a delight.

It's exhausting....but I enjoy my time with these little girls. We don't have dance class next week, due to Spring break, and then hubby & I will be gone for the next two weeks, so I won't be taking them to dance class for a while. I will miss it and them.

Ups, Downs and In Betweens of my life!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
    1824 days ago
  • LINDAK25
    1825 days ago
    emoticon emoticon
    1826 days ago
    I work in health care and I can tell you why they did not just remove the tubing while waiting for the new one to arrive from supply. The body is an amazing healing machine. In a brand new opening to the body to insert a foreign object be it a bladder cath or a feeding tube(which i work with feeding tubes called G-tubes) the body will immediately begin to close off the hole where the tube was and this if a new one is not inserted immediately it would require surgery to open up that hole again or begin a new one next to the one that closed. when one of the clients in the group home I work in first got her tube she had less than 5 mins to get a new one inserted before the hole closed up too much to insert a new tube so that is why they did not remove his tube before the one from supply had arrived. She hadhad a g-tube for 4 years now and the window we have to get a new one in has only grown to 30 mins before she would require surgery again. So that is why he had to wait.
    1826 days ago
    Life is sure full of ups and downs. Hope things get better for your hubby. Praying for you all.
    1826 days ago
    Oh my goodness your poor husband! What an ordeal for you both to go through.

    Your grand babies are darling :)

    1826 days ago
    HOW distressing for your dear husband, and you! I'm SO sorry! Praying for you both and asking God's abundant peace to surround you during this time. emoticon
    1826 days ago
  • KITT52

    1826 days ago
  • CANNIE50
    Oh, your poor husband. What a miserable experience at the ER. I also feel badly for you since you are powerless over him, and powerless over the medical personnel, and powerless over so many things, which is a hard feeling to accept. I like your idea that you can offer more suggestions at the ER next time. After all, you are hiring them, so you need to be listened to. I am so glad you have the option of getting extra sleep in the morning, to make up for the sleep you are losing. I am so happy you get to spend time with your sweet grandbabies - you provide such joy to each other. Take care, Pam. I am thinking of you.
    1826 days ago
    Your life is full and not without challenges. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure you are a tremendous support to your husband. It's good he wants to push to go right back to work, but I know he needs his rest (as do you) during this time. Best wishes in getting him to the doctor when he needs to go. The girls are beautiful! I know the joy of grandchildren. So glad you enjoy your family time so much. Take care.
    1826 days ago
  • KERRYG155
    Men are just stubborn creatures and seldom want to see the Dr. I have one like that myself! Sorry he had to go through all that in the ER with the tube and that they have to follow a strict order of business-I know that can sometimes be a pain. I would definitely agree with you that a wire from the garage is not a good thing to use on a tube you're inserting into your body!! It's good you got to spend some fun time with the girls.

    BTW-congrats to him on the great series-I only ever managed that twice.
    1826 days ago

    Comment edited on: 3/23/2013 7:32:07 PM
    emoticon It is good to hear you Enjoying the Ups as they come along. So sorry that Duane is having so many problems with Blockages. That is Beyond Miserable!!
    1826 days ago
    1826 days ago
    emoticon emoticon and more emoticon
    1826 days ago
    I'm glad you are having some ups along with the downs.

    1826 days ago
    Sounds like your husband needs to accept that he needs some medical help sometimes dealing with the catheter. It was very good that you stopped him from sticking a wire down the catheter; he could rupture his bladder and come down with a serious infection. I know it's hard, but he needs to accept this new reality and that he will need medical help from time to time. That's the way it is. If he has problems with it plugging up again, check with the doc/nurses and see if there is something he can do. Perhaps some fluid he can drink or something that will help keep his urine dilute and help prevent the blockages. It definitely is uncomfortable when the catheter plugs up, and if he lets it go too long is runs the risk of bladder rupture, which will require surgery to repair. An ounce of prevention...
    1826 days ago
    Actually, there were a couple of great moments. LOL, they should apologize for the pee and hopefully they won't make that mistake again. Even though hubby doesn't want to go to the doctors, you are going to have insist. Think you need to be in charge of these situations and he can control the rest.
    1826 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.