I remember reading a similar question when I was first introduced to the wonderful world of Spark and I actually compiled a list. Here is a sample of that very list
1) I want to lose weight
2) I want my husband to be attracted to me
3) I want to be fun to be around
4) I want to have more friends
5) I want to be able to shop in stores other than plus-sized ones
6) I want to prove my mother wrong
7) I want my brother to be proud of me
8) I want to get on my doctor's scale and not hear him tutt tutt
9) I I want to look pretty
10) I want to be happy
So, can I have a resounding OMG! That is actually what I thought about when I joined Spark. There are some bitter truths buried in those "wishes for the future" and my only wish is that I could go back in time (2.5 years) and give the old me a hug.
A lot of my desires speak volumes about the state of my self-esteem back then. You don't have to go on and read any further if you not want to but feel free to join me as I examine that list more closely.
1) I want to lose weight (well, yes, ultimately I still do want to achieve this goal and I'm setting up achievable plans)
2) I want my husband to be attracted to me ( it took me a very long to realized my husband married me for my personality and humour too! The problem was with me not liking who I was)
3) I want to be fun to be around (Again, I had to learn to like myself first)
4) I want to have more friends (I really only had a few close friends and thought more friends equalled me feeling better about myself. I've realized you can have a thousand acquaintances but they won't be there when you fall on hard times)
5) I want to be able to shop in stores other than plus-sized ones (I learned to dress the body I have now and not the one I want in five years. I'm gradually giving away my shapeless clothes that really hid my weight and my personality)
6) I want to prove my mother wrong ( my mother's opinion is just that....HER opinion)
7) I want my brother to be proud of me ( deep down I'm pretty sure my brother loves me and is proud of me just the way I am)
8) I want to get on my doctor's scale and not hear him tutt tutt (I have asked my doctor countless times for help with losing weight. The next time I go I will bring in a copy of what I eat and the amount of walking I do. It might not change his opinion but at least he will see I'm trying)
9) I I want to look pretty ( okay, what girl doesn't want to look pretty? I can only work with what I was given but the point is I can try to make a bit of a difference.)
10) I want to be happy (wow, that's a doozy. I can honestly say I'm more happier in my skin than I ever before. I am exercising, I'm trying to eat healthier options, I've made some amazingly progress with my self-esteem, and I love Spark and all of my friends.
So, who ARE you Sparking for? I'm finally doing this for ME!