Tuesday, March 19, 2013
"Know your power...learn how to use it." Nancy Pelosi
I read a great article in the March issue of Health Magazine about life lessons for success.
I felt they easily transferred to the world of healthy living, so I decided to blog about them today.
1. Think big and small: success is the culmination of a series of mini-successes. Rather than focus on losing 100 pounds, focus on 5 pounds at a time and celebrate at each step of the way. For example, I plan to get a massage after each 5 pound loss and then once at goal, some kind of treat for each month at goal.
2. Put in the time: hard work is a tenet of success. But I believe that with weight loss and healthy living, it's not really hard. It's easy to feel good and energetic and healthy, much easier than the self-loathing, disgust, low energy, and many other negative feelings I experience when I don't take care of myself.
3. Build up grit: you can achieve great things if you set your mind to it. This is so true here on SP where members blog about losing 100 pounds or more and keeping it off for years. That is grit!!
4. Make failure work for you: As Renee Stephens says, "there is no failure, only feedback". Setbacks are learning opportunities. And if you mine these moments and really learn from them, redoing the even in your mind in a better way, the next time you will probably get it right!
5. Keep emotions in check: make your emotions work for you, not against you. If you are upset, figure out why, breathe, meditate, call a friend. Don't dive into a bag of chips.
Great advice for life and good health!
“Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” ― Winston Churchill