Tuesday, March 19, 2013
It has been over a year now that I quit smoking, after smoking for 22 years. Yet today my mind says "Oh, that was easy, you didn't do anything amazing". Isn't that awful?
I am a person who thinks everything has to be perfect, that I don't ever work hard enough and haven't achieved anything of greatness in my life. But today i am going to change my mind:
Heather, here is what you have done great in your life:
1. Your children are healthy and happy, feel secure and are loved, you did that!
2. 12 years ago you overcame an addiction, most people don't, you did that!
3. In the past 6 years you have, lost over 60lbs and had a baby in the middle, you did that!
4. You bought a house of your own, you did that!
5. You quit a 22 yr habit of smoking, and no it wasn't easy, you DID that!
6. You became aware and are working on your addiction to food, you did that!
7. Everyday you think, how can i do better, and you try to be better, you did that!
I am posting this to remind my inner voice that I did do great things, and it wasn't easy and I can do better but I have already done great, so stop beating me up.
This voice also tells me that it is OK to grab a fast food meal or buy those crappy snacks at the store. I know others have this negative voice inside and above is the first step to quieting it.
I will read these great things everyday and not forget what i have already done and tell that yucky voice to SHUT THE HECK UP!