Monday, March 18, 2013
This may be a long one. A lot of things have been going on lately that have been pushing me towards really taking a step back and looking at where I'm headed and where I want to be headed. I think it's easy to get caught up in the day-to-day drama of work, chores, relationships and not have a good grasp on where you stand amidst everything. A lot of the time I feel like I'm moving forward but then when I take into account where I am I really haven't made large strides toward anything in particular. I have of course grown internally because of all of my experiences, but I have not done a good job of directing my growth toward any true goals- and that I think is why I've been caught so often in the merry-go-round of progress and stagnancy. I can only stay motivated so long off of the pure idea of being motivated and making "progress". I need to establish something real toward which I can direct that motivation. Goals really are better when they are specific.
So as I build my baseline of health back up- exercise, proper diet, sleep, low stress - I need to also be directing those habits towards legitimate goals so that I maintain them and don't fall for "in the moment" temptations. Over this next week I plan to structure my goals and develop plans for achieving them. I'd also like to develop a personal "mission statement" on what I want to accomplish in this life. A lot has been put into perspective for me lately and I don't want to waste another moment.
This will all be a rough work in progress but I'll develop it over time. What I know so far that I want to work on-
- Accepting that small steps are necessary to accomplish something big. Procrastination seems appealing in the moment but looking back at all the time wasted there is so much that can be accomplished in tiny steps every day.
- Being OK with taking small steps and not getting somewhere immediately. Being OK with my starting point, acknowledging my weaknesses, and knowing that the right effort and time will get me where I aim to be.
- Fighting laziness and lethargy. When I don't want to get up, having the overriding power to get up anyway and JUST DO IT. It will always help. Being lazy and sleeping in never feels good ultimately. Take the initiative. Start NOW, not tomorrow or next week. The sooner you start, the sooner you feel better and the less road to travel.
- Doing what's right for me, my body, my mind, my goals. I have to be my own advocate. No one else will.
- Being optimistic. Having faith. Being able to dig myself out of a potential rut or at least prevent it from happening by knowing my needs and limitations.
Health-wise everything is interconnected for me. Sleep, water, and planning are essential. Patience and commitment is essential. Without the foundation of health everything else falls to the wayside. Health should be something automatic and habitual, not a stressful ordeal. I want my best life now.
And off to bed.