* St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland, although he was born in Britain,around 385 AD. His parents, Capurnius and Conchessa,
were Roman citizens. living in either Scotland or Wales, according
to different versions of his story.
* As a boy, of 14 he was captured and taken to Ireland where he
spent six years in slavery herding sheep. He returned to Ireland in
his 30s as a missionary among the Celtic pagans.
* Legend has it that he used the native shamrock as a symbol of the
Holy Trinity when preaching and brought the Latin alphabet to Ireland.
* Miracles attributed to him include the driving of serpents out of
Ireland. However, evidence suggests post-glacial Ireland never had
any snakes in the first place.
* Wearing green, eating green food and even drinking green beer,
is said to commemorate St. Patrick's use of the shamrock - although
blue was the original colour of his vestments.
* Popular toasts on St. Patrick's Day include: may the roof above us
never fall in, and may our friends beneath it never fall out.
* Dublin has a parade that attracts hundreds of thousands of people,
while in Chicago the river is dyed green for a few hours. The biggest
parade is normally held in New York, while the largest celebration in
the southern hemisphere is in Sydney, Australia.
HAPPY ST PATRICKS DAY