Bob Harper's The Skinny Rules
Thursday, March 14, 2013
Well I finally got my book and have read it. GREAT book! For those who don't know, this book has 20 rules to follow to lose and maintain your weight. After reading the book I know these rules are very doable.. but some are intimidating and will be challenging for me. I feel like these rules are just what I need though. When it comes to weight loss, I have exercise down to a science... but I could use some help on my eating.
So here are the rules:
1. Drink a large glass of water when you wake up and before each meal
2. Don't drink your calories
3. Eat protein at every meal
4. Slash your intake of refined flours and grains
5. Eat 30-50g fiber a day
6. Eat apples and berries every single day
7. No carbs after lunch
8. Learn to read food labels
9. Learn portion sizes
10 No more added sweetners
11. No white potatoes
12. One day a week meatless
13. No fried/ fast foods
14. Eat real breakfast
15. Cook at home 10x a week
16. No high salt foods
17. Eat veggies!
18. Go to bed hungry
19. Sleep right
20. One splurge meal a week
So I've already been following rules 1, 2, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, and 17 on a regular basis. Most of the other rules will be easy for me too.
The rules I will struggle with most:
7. No carbs after lunch--- I love carbs at dinner time.. who doesn't want a little bit of rice with their chicken and veggies? or some whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce every now and then? I'm guilty of eating protein and veggies at lunch and then carbs, protein and veggies for dinner. I will have to switch that.
10 No more added sweetners--- I love splenda in my coffee, and sometimes I get yogurt made with splenda to save calories. I'm gonna try to ease into drinking black coffee, and go for full flavor yogurt I guess.
11. No white potatoes-- I love white potatoes and I hate sweet potatoes. That will never change. I don't think veggies should be sweet and I won't eat sweet potatoes.. yuck! I'll just stay away from white potatoes too, except maybe my cheat meals.
12. One day a week meatless-- I love meat... I'm gonna have to start eating more beans, nuts, eggs, etch.
19. Sleep right--- haha... this is very hard to do when you have a little baby. But I'll try to go to bed earlier and sleep in when I can. I'm aiming for at least 6 hours a night.
20. One splurge meal a week-- Most people would think OMG that's the easiest rule and in principle it is. It's very easy to down something fattening and delicious. But mentally it's a challenge for me. When I really want to lose weight it gives me anxiety to eat unhealthy, and I usually get depressed about it and continue eating badly all day. But I am going to have to accept that it is part of my plan to have a cheat MEAL, not a cheat DAY. No guilt, no worries. Just enjoy it and move on.
I'm really thinking this book is going to help me clean up my diet. I highly recommend it. Even though I just gave you all the rules, there is soooo much info in this book that you don't want to miss. There are also some recipes and meal plans for you too. Today is the day I start my skinny rules diet.. can't wait!