Fat girls versus mean girls...
Sunday, March 03, 2013
Recently I joined a pole fitness class with a few friends and this has been an amazing insight for me into body images. As a woman, I know that we are our own worse critic, but it was shocking to me when I finished a class the other day and the instructor who is a size 2 (maybe a 4) with ZERO body fat that was visible (and she is wearing very little clothing) turned back up the lights at the end of class and said "now you all can see what I really look like and my fat that jiggles."
WHAT THE HECK???
I mean I just finished doing a 90 minute work out and there was NO fat on this yand it made me VERY sad to hear her say that about herself and made me even more sad to realize that we are never happy with our bodies.
At what point as women will be start to realize that we are beautiful no matter what the size that we are??? I mean to hear Joan Rivers call Adele fat amongst other mean names is such a disgrace especially coming from a woman who has spent THOUSANDS to have her face redesigned by plastic surgeons and sadly David Letterman sat there and allowed this atrocious behavior to take place.... Women should be building each other up and not putting each other down!!
As a mother of 3 girls I am working hard to teach them the following lessons:
1. Don't put yourself down... the world will do it for you.
2. Don't allow others to put your friends down for when you stand by and allow your friends to be mean although the words did not come out of your mouth you are no better than the person speaking.
3. If you are not happy in life change... there is no one responsible for your happiness other than you.
4. Your self-worth is not dependent on a number on the scale...rather how you treat people through your actions and words.
5. Finally, you are PERFECT... you are you and you are loved.
I truly wished I could say that I saw other families teaching their girls these lessons and I wish the media would learn that a size 14, size 24, or a size 44 person deserves to be treated with kindness just as the size 2 person does... saying things about a person's size and weight or looks does not make you funny... it makes you a sad person who is a bully and mean.... and I would rather hang out with the "fat" girl than the "mean" girl ANY day of the week.