I've talked about this a couple of times in various places, but I want to make sure I did one blog that specifically reviewed this DVD. I was a recipient of a FREE DVD from SparkPeople and am following through on my commitment to review the DVD and blog about it.
First of all a brief historical perspective - I have been on SparkPeople as a regular user for over 3 1/2 years now. I love the website and it has totally transformed my life and my daily ability to live it healthier. I whole heartedly support joining, using, and learning because it will change your life if you use it and allow yourself to get connected and learn. It's a lifestyle change and a long term commitment that will get you where you want to be. I was also previously a paid blogger for SparkPeople but no longer have that position. I am not being paid to review this DVD. All that being said upfront because I want to make sure everyone knows I'm just giving an honest opinion about the DVD workout.
So the reivew - I do like it and would recommend it and here is why:
1. First off I like the fact that it is attainable and understandable even to the newest at exercising. There are plenty of DVD's out there that are just not realistic workouts for the new to exercising or to those who have a lot of weight to lose. I've lost and kept off 80 lbs and as someone who used to workout heavier, I know there are significant physical limitations to starting from that point and most exercise videos would seem daunting with so much that was unattainable. I believe that the majority of the exercises on this video can be done by someone new, and starting at a larger size.
2. I like the fact that the exercises are easy to understand and that there are typically three level options. There are two other women in the workout and at minimum they are giving you two level options if not three. It is clear to see what a beginner level option is and how to work up from there. So I think this is a good workout that allows you to grow.
3. It's broken down into several segments so you can start with a shorter workout and add on, or do the whole thing if you've been working out for awhile. That gives you options depending on how much time you have in the day to get your workout in.
4. It's affordable - skip a couple of lattes or a meal out and you have the cash to invest in your health. You should be investing in your healthy future!
5. You don't have to have a lot of equipment to do the workout. She used a chair, a yoga mat, and a dumbbell. Assuming most people have a chair at home. If you don't have a yoga mat, you could use a large towel. If you don't have a dumbbell use a water bottle or a large can of soup/beans. You can also get very inexpensive light dumbbells at Walmart or Target. Just going through the motions without weights when you first start is a good thing as well. Learn the workout and the movement and build up from there.
6. From someone who has worked out a lot - I have tracked over 51,000 fitness minutes on SparkPeople so far - I also enjoy a workout that has an exercise i haven't seen before. Nicole keeps it new and interesting and I picked up a couple of exercises that I will use in the bootcamp I teach.
7. It's a library - by that I mean she's got a previous DVD available and a whole collection of free workouts on SparkPeople. If for some reason you're still not convinced this is a good workout option for you, go to the sparkpeople.com website and join up for free. On the "Healthy Lifestyles" tab you can chose from a whole video library of free workouts that Nicole has put together ranging from 3 minutes to over 20 minutes, with or without equipment, covering a wide range of workouts. You can combine that with joining one of the SP challenge teams that use these free workouts and get connected in an online team forum so that you can ask questions and get support.
I'll be using this DVD to learn from, and then eventually giving it away as a gift to one of the women in my bootcamp as a reward for attendance. Thanks SparkPeople for giving it to me. I appreciate the opportunity to continue to learn from Nicole, Spark Guy, and the amazing team that supports me 24/7 and all for free.
So what are you waiting for? Go workout!