Monday, February 25, 2013
I know this is a bit late, but I did make a promise to a very special fellow sparker who is very dear to me. Here it is, my first blog, finally.
1. I tracked my food for every day this month which is a huge success for me.
2. I worked out, not as much as I should, but more than I have in a long while. I even managed to get up and walk 2.5 miles at 5:00 in the morning one time, with my son! So proud of him that he joined me. We both do not quite fit the description of early birds.
3. I walked the Half Sparkathon on January 12 with some very awesome San Antonio Spark Team members and, believe it or not, I enjoyed it. My feet hurt like hell, of course. There is no way that this will in any way undermine my feeling of accomplishment though. Prior to this I had never walked more than 7 miles in my life. So walking 13.1 miles, I almost doubled that. I have to say, soon after I crossed my personal longest distance walked thus far, I sure was thinking to myself that I would never do this again as my feet were killing me. To my surprise, during the last mile, I actually truly enjoyed it. I started to feel some pride to have made it this far and started thinking, "OK, this is actually not that bad. Maybe I can powerwalk it sometime. You know what? I should run it, too, once my body is ready." Did I mention my feet were killing me? Yes, soon enough this nasty little voice (I fight it daily) popped up in my head, "You are nuts to think you will powerwalk or even run this distance. You are barely getting through this walking at 2 miles per hour." Well, I love proving people wrong, and I would especially love to prove this nasty little voice of mine wrong, since it seems that I cannot shut it up. Maybe it is a good thing I cannot. This way I can prove myself wrong over and over again. I will not walk a half marathon again soon, but give me a few months to train, maybe a year even, and I sure will powerwalk one. And one day, I will run one.
4. I drank my 8 cups of water almost every day.
5. I lost 5 pounds.
1. My early morning walking victory was followed by a less pleasant experience. I was walking down my neighbor's driveway, which in one spot is not evenly aligned with the sidewalk (and I had never noticed that!), with quite some momentum (I was almost running) and "BAM" I landed flat on the concrete. I tried to catch myself but it happened so fast that I landed on my elbows/forearms/wrists which hurt like crazy and on my knees while my cell phone and keys flew all the way into the street bursting to piece (the cell phone). I am sure it was quite a picture. After asking me if I was OK, my son told me he tripped over that spot twice already. Well, thank you. You could not tell me that before I do the same? :-) Oh well, I survived and even my phone did. I limped for a couple of days (which means I walked less, but at least I still walked) and you can still see where my right knee was scraped, but other than that I am as good as new.
2. I signed up for the January Jumpstart Challenge and did not participate - at all. Well, this actually looks like a habit, since I have the tendency to sign up for challenges and not truly participating. I guess that is related to my habit of trying to do too much in too little time and then having to scratch out some plans as I go. I figured tracking my food regularly and exercising more was enough of a challenge for me that month and I did well. Maybe another challenge, another time.
My victory-to-setback ratio was 5:2. That could be worse, I guess. Overall, January has been a great month for me and I hope the next 11 months of 2013 will be just as good, if not better.
Disclaimer: I am a lousy blogger. Deal with it. I have started two blogs before and I simply find it difficult to make the time for maintaining my blogs; that is posting on a regular basis. I vow to do better, but I honestly think that blogging will never climb to the top of my priority list. However, I have been wanting to blog here on SparkPeople for a while now. I decided to start small, with a monthly blog. Who knows, maybe I will get adventurous someday and post weekly (do not expect this though).