Monday, February 25, 2013
So, my hubby and his buddy at work convinced me to give paleo a try. None of us have ever tried anything of this sort (I.e. low carb, south beach, etc.) but with how much processed food we have been eliminating I thought it was worth a try. Plus, my hubby is a big sugar junkie, so I want to support him in his efforts to reduce/eliminate sugar and sweeteners.
I have spent the last two weeks on research.
The things that surprised me most were:
1. No beans of any type
2. No quinoa? It is technically a seed, so I don't fully understand this one
3. Tea IS allowed. Hooray!
4. There are many schools of thought with Paleo eating, regarding potatoes, dairy, and stevia as well as other arguable foods.
We are going with a slightly modified diet, allowing for sweet potatoes and a little dairy. The plan I devised is not purist for the following reasons:
1. Our budget will not allow for all organic/grass fed meat
2. We have 3 kids and a very busy life
3. This is a trial. If we decide to continue, we will gradually weed out and modify our whole diet. The switch is not easy if you have a pantry full of beans, oatmeal, rice and canned veggies.
Fortunately, I love fruits and veggies of all types. This should be a fun experiment. We have already moved toward whole, unprocessed foods, but this will be a challenge. Even my daughter (age 10) is curious and wants to try to modify a bit.
Wish us luck!