Spring Challenge Week 1: The Idiot's Guide to Nikki
Saturday, February 23, 2013
1. I'm a sign language interpreter in a middle school. I love interpreting but I hate working full time and I really hope I won't have to next year cuz I just feel overwhelmed.
2. I've been married for almost 10 years and we've been together 14 years and I couldn't ask for a better husband and father for my kids. He goes above and beyond for us, is the most selfless person I know and always makes me feel loved and wanted.
3. I have 2 kids. My son Sage is 4 and my daughter Irie (Eye-ree) is 2.
4. I just turned 30
5. I have a BA in English (totally worthless) and a BS in American Sign Language Interpreting
6. I have one older brother who was my hero growing up and I haven't seen him in almost 2 years and I really miss him!
7. I live in Athens GA which is one of the coolest places in the country, tons of live music, very much centered on the arts-all types. Its a great community for local, sustainable agriculture. I feel very very lucky to live here.
8. I'm originally from a small town in PA and both of our families are still there which means we never ever have a babysitter. Cuz we're also broke all the time.
9. I've had the same best friend since 3rd grade. She lives here in Athens too and our daughters are 2 months apart.
10. I love literature but really I just love the English Language. I love poetry, I even love rap for its literary merit. I read everything from Goethe to Bronte to Twilight. I'm not a snobby reader.
11. I love the Grateful Dead. I was raised on them and there's just nothing else like them in the whole world. And anyone who says they don't like them just doesn't know any better.
12. I hate buttons. I CANT STAND THEM. Some people say I have a phobia because I don't like touching them. For some reason, I have trouble admitting that but I will like you a lot better if you don't wear buttons. The ones on your pants don't bother me as much. I also hate polo shirts. I'm already stressing out because my son will have to wear a uniform next year which is a polo shirt.
13. I used to have a potbelly pig named Abraham
14. I love people and want to be best friends with every new person I meet and then cant understand why everyone doesn't automatically feel the same way. (who wouldnt want to be best friends with me?!)
15. My weight has made me more shy but on the inside I'm the type of person to high five strangers on the street and pick up hitchhikers.
16. My biggest regret is not traveling around the country in a van before I had kids and just hanging out with people.
17. I still know all the words to Shoop and Whatta Man.
18. I have weird anxiety about grocery stores. like I have a really hard time going by myself. Most of the time my husband goes with me and when it's time to check out, I have to leave cuz I'm terrified our card won't work or we won't have enough money. Even if I KNOW we have enough in our account, I'm still afraid there will be a glitch or something.
19. It's amazing to me how much I've changed. I used to go weeks or months without eating a vegetable except potatoes.
20. I'm really passionate about supporting local business and agriculture
21. You could win my heart with a big fat heirloom tomato
22. I love The Walking Dead
23. I hate wearing shoes but now my feet are so wide. That sucks.
24. I really struggle with discipline and consistency. I never plan anything or think about things ahead of time which makes losing weight pretty difficult
25. I've seen Billy Ray Cyrus in concert. Now, how many people can say that?
26. I'm pretty good at Scattagories, Rummy and Words with Friends.
27. I always stop the microwave a couple seconds before its done. I dont know why.
28. I do not feel like an adult at all.
29. I always thought I'd be a writer but I'm so burnt out, I feel like my vocabulary has been reduced to about 200 words. Maybe someday.
30. I love making lists. Sometimes I make to-do lists and put things I've already done on them, just to write them down and then cross them off.
31. A lot of people think my husband looks like Kevin Spacey and I DO NOT take it as a compliment.
32. I'm a people pleaser. I care way too much what people think
33. When we got married, I really wanted to change our last name to Mushroom but I couldn't convince Chris to do it.
34. I consider breastfeeding to have been a life changing event for me. It was the first time ever that I didn't give up on something when it was too hard.
35. speaking of life changing events, I recieved the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues when I was 19 and it completely changed my life
36. If I could have any talent, it would be skateboarding. It just looks so fun!
37. I'm really hard on myself.
38. I talk with my hands a lot, even when I'm not signing and I catch myself signing to people all the time who don't know sign language
39. I'm left handed
40. I refuse to watch tear jerkers or movies without a happy ending. It stresses me out too much. How is that entertaining?!
41. I also get really annoyed if I don't find the main characters in a movie attractive.
42. When I was young, I had 3 invisible friends named Bambi, Thumper and Flower and Bambi used to get me in trouble by writing on the walls with my mom's lipstick and flushing pens down the toilet.
43. I can actually be pretty negative. I don't like that about myself and I'm working on changing it but it's such an inherent part of my personality that its a hard habit to break and sometimes, I don't totally believe what I'm saying, its just part of my process of coping and really, I just want someone to talk me through it. But I'm starting to realize that not everyone gets that and I need to be more conscious of how I come across to people and not rely on people to "talk me off the ledge" all the time.
44. I hold the paper completely perpendicular to my body when I write
45. I'm scared of the dark
46. I hate being alone.
47. I'm only 5' but I don't think of myself as short.
48. I'm really loud. My whole family is.
49. I love anything silly and random.
50. I'm a super open person. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I let everyone in. I don't keep things inside very well and even if I try, my emotion is all over my face. It causes me to get hurt sometimes but its just who I am and I've given up trying to change it.
I had a really hard time thinking of 50 things but i stubbornly refused to give up and that's why I'm posting this at the last minute. Sorry!
BONUS: My result for the bmi test thing or whatever it was called was 45.71% which is obviously TERRIBLE!!! I gotta get back on track and get that number down. Yuck!