Wednesday, February 20, 2013
I am once again reading through and studying Made To Crave by Lysa Terkeurst. It's just one of those books where each time you go through it, you are in a different place mentally, physically, and spiritually and you get different things out of it each time. I've never seen the videos or been in a face-to-face study with anyone and I'm sure those would really enhance my study and help me with the application, but no opportunity has arose yet.
Within the chapters of this little book.....yellow highlighter marks represent the 1st time I read it (I blogged about it as well.) The purple pen marks represent the 2nd go-through (but didn't finish). And this time I am using a red pen and am determined to finish the book and journey.
From Chapter 1
"Everything is permissible--but not everything is beneficial"
I Corinthians 10:23
Here is how I've learned that verse is Truth with my own journey to a healthier lifestyle.
Things I can do but which I have found are not beneficial to my whole health....
2. Minute Rice
3. White breads (includes buns, rolls, biscuits, etc)
4. Sugary soda pop
5. Sweet treats every day
6. sweets after 7pm (birthdays, etc)
8. Fruit after 4pm
9. push yoga from my exercise routine
10. walk outside no matter the weather (due to fibromyalgia)
11. go without 8 hours of sleep
12. not exercise for days on end
13. not listen to my body
14. potato/corn chips
15. salty foods
16. unlimited meat
17. unlimited complex carbs
18. (this one is the hardest) milk chocolate
19. forgetting to strength train, esp. my core
20. not resting when my body says it's time to rest
21. dried fruit
1. not making my health one of my priorities
2. Stop working towards some goal
2. Stop reading and learning about a healthy lifestyle
3. Listening to the critical voices in my head
4. Giving up
5. Letting discouragement be permanent
6. Being afraid to try new things
7. Not changing my mind and making a better/healthier choice at the last minute
8. Not keeping priorities straight and making my health one of them
9. Stopping the negative thoughts and attitudes
10. Letting numbers define who I am and my worth and how I feel about myself
1. forgetting to pray
2. forgetting to read God's Word
3. forgetting I have access to God's Almighty power through His Spirit
4. forgetting to reach out to others
5. confusing my good works to others with intimacy with God
6. failing to apply what I am learning from God's Word to my own life
7. failing to discern world views and philosophies
8. failing to speak the Truth with love
9. failing to WORSHIP God, Adore Him, Praise Him, Thank Him, Honor Him
10. failing to grow-- being content with where I am and/or making excuses "I'm doing the best I can." Thinking I know it all.
This is NOT a list or THOU SHALT NOTs! I could do any one of these or all of them. However, I am CHOOSING that these things don't work for me because I've tried them in the past and found they were not beneficial to my three-fold health.
So, now I am going to flip this list around and say....here is how I CHOOSE what IS beneficial to my three-fold health....
1. Whole Wheat Pasta- 2oz. or 1/2 cup servings
2. Brown Rice-1/2 cup servings
3. Whole Wheat bread- 3 servings per day
4. an occasional Diet soda pop (preferably caffeine-free)
5. Sweet treats - portion controlled and on occasion
6. a rare sweet treat with the family BEFORE 7pm (birthdays, etc)
7. caffeine (only when there are no other options but preferably none after 5pm)
8. 1-2 fruit servings before 4pm-- so I can sleep and for blood sugar stability
9. do yoga each week
10. walk outside every time the weather is above 40* and less than 85* and not raining (due to fibromyalgia)
11. get 8 hours of sleep
12. give myself rest days but don't skip exercise when just feeling lazy
13. listen to my body
14. Rice chips on occasion but try fresh veggies instead
15. Use Sea Salt and watch the salty foods (blood pressure)
16. portion control with meat
17. portion control and healthy complex carbs
18. occasional dark chocolate
19. strength train, esp. my core
20. rest when my body says it's time to rest
21. fresh fruit instead
1. make my health one of my priorities as I am worth it and many depend on me to be my healthiest so I can be the best wife, mother, friend, etc. I can be to them.
2. always work towards some goal and keep them evolving.
2. read about a healthy lifestyle
3. Replace those critical voices with positive reaffirmation in my head
4. Get back up again and again and again and......
5. Turn discouragement into Determination
6. Be adventurous--Try new things
7. give yourself permission to change your mind at the last minute to make a better/healthier choice----not every choice is permanent and set in stone.
8. Keep priorities straight
9. Replace the negative thoughts and attitudes with RIGHT thoughts and attitudes
10. Know that my worth is found in God.
1. pray continually
2. read God's Word at least daily
3. access God's Almighty power through His Spirit
4. reach out to others--be a blessing
5. build intimacy with God
6. apply what I am learning from God's Word to my own life
7. discern world views and philosophies
8. speak the Truth with love
9. worship God, Adore Him, Praise Him, Thank Him, bring Honor to His name
10. keep growing; never be content with where I am and/or make excuses
Everything is permissible--but not everything is beneficial. I Cor. 10:23