Monday, February 18, 2013
Even after losing weight and admittedly with a ways to go, I still find that I have an urge to overeat! Am I the only one? I don’t think so!
I have found a handful, no pun intended, of ways to avoid hitting those restaurants that are sure to ruin a great weigh in! Here are my top five ways to avoid a binge!
1. Grab some H20!—Water is often what our body is really craving. The eight cups a day model is so old school and is for the person who weighs 120 pounds! Especially for weight loss purposes, we should be drinking half of our body weight in ounces a day. So, if you weigh 300 pounds then you should drink 150 ounces.
2. Get moving!—I’m not saying you need to do a full workout in the middle of the day, but stand up and stretch, go for a quick walk, jump around! When we get our bodies moving, good endorphins are released to help counteract that negative spiral that is occurring between our ears!
3. Are you hungry or craving something?—Being able to answer that question will certainly be able to keep us from overeating. When we are hungry we will eat anything including healthy option like fruits or vegetables. If we are craving something, typically trigger foods, then we need to be able to recognize that it is a negative craving and find something to take our mind off of the craving.
4. Portions!—Portion control is a huge (again no pun intended) when it comes to trying to be able to live a healthy lifestyle. I’m working toward and trying to teach my family to live a lifestyle of healthy choices, not a diet. Diets are temporary and this is a lifestyle that will last a lifetime.
5. Pray!—MC Hammer said it best when he said, “You got to pray just to make it today.” I know you are singing the rest of that song right now! It is truth. Sometimes we need to step back and recognize that God is in control and we are His body. We are here to carry out His mission and part of that is taking care of His temple.
What do you do when you feel that you are about to go over the edge? What tips do you have for me?
Have an awesome and healthy day!