Sunday, February 17, 2013
This morning our Bulletin at Church included a copy of the painting "The Last Supper". Not the one we are all familiar with by DaVinci but a similar one, by an Artist I have never heard of -- Bohdan Piasecki.
This interpretation addresses several 'Issues' in the Original Painting:
1) Davinci's Painting shows Daylight outside the window. The actual event occurred at night.
2) The figures in the Original Painting were seated on benches (and all on One Side of the Table!). Jesus and His Disciples reclined on Couches.
3) DaVinci shows a meal of Fish and Ordinary Bread. The Passover Meal consists of Unleavened Bread, Roast Lamb, and Bitter Herbs.
4) Passover Meals included the whole Family -- Including Travelers, and Guests whose families were too small or too poor to buy the meal for themselves. Passover Law required that Children ask Questions so that they could learn the meaning of the Passover Meal from their Parents.
5) DaVinci's Painting depicts 13 Renaissance Men in Oriental Costume in a Florentine Palace ~ Not a Jewish celebration in Palestine.
My intent with this is NOT to disrespect DaVinci, or to alienate any of My Friends. As the Pastor reminded us this morning, a Passover Meal in Jesus' Time -- Or in Ours!! -- would include Men, Women, Children, Sinners, People of other Faiths (Denominations), and even Doubters. Not just "Perfect Christians".
Keeping that in mind makes it easier to imagine Yourself sitting at the Table with Jesus and asking questions.