I read somewhere recently that it takes 21 days to form a habit, 21 days to make a random behavior an intentional decision. This got me thinking about what habits I would like to form on my journey to self-improvement. What behaviors do I want to become part of my daily routine.
Right now, my only habit is Pinterest......I suppose I could have worse habits......I check the same exact categories in the same exact order everyday. Even if for one minute in each section. I can't go to bed without checking in on my categories to see what is new! Imagine if I had that kind of dedication when it came to weight loss and exercise -
But I digress....it has got me thinking about all the habits I could work to form (or break). Hmmm, let's make a list:
1. Stop eating fast food every day
2. Drink 8 cups of water a day.
3. Pack and EAT lunch each work day
4. Eat suggested servings for food
5. Measure food and determine portion sizes for servings
6. Track food intake
7. Try a new recipe/new food each week
8. Eat fruit and vegetable servings each day (bonus points for variety!)
9. Weigh and reflect regularly (weekly or daily)
10. Exercise everyday (at least 10 minutes)
11. Make daily/weekly/monthly goals AND stick to them
12. Identify and avoid trigger foods
13. Give myself one compliment each day.
Well, here are 12 just to name a few. In classic Kristie form, I had already set out to make goal sheets and try to transform my entire existence in 21 days. That kinda of thinking is what sets me up for failure from the get go. I am going to choose one (maybe two) things to focus on and track my progress for the next 21 days. Once I have made those behaviors habitual, I will add another and work my way through the list, one change at a time.
So now I just have to decide where to start.....hmmmm......