Single on Valentine’s Day as I am? Count your blessings and don't fret about it. There are plenty of reasons why it’s great to be unattached on February 14th.
Here are just 10 of them:
1. There no Valentine’s Day awkwardness or pressure. You don’t have to worry about whether or not you should buy him a gift, bring her white roses or red, or what the other person’s expectations for the day are. There’s no pressure to take a young relationship to the next level too soon, nor is there an expectation to reignite a long-lost spark.
2. You have a great excuse to hang out with your single friends. Whether you’re gushing over Valentine’s-appropriate chick flicks together or rebelling with horror films and Chinese takeout, Valentine’s Day can be a great day of bonding. If you’re disappointed to miss out on a candlelit meal, host a semi-formal dinner party that celebrates friendship and singleness. (Being single doesn’t mean you have to go without champagne, either.)
3. Make the day all about you and the things you love. You hate roses but love daisies – so buy yourself some. Stay in and indulge in the guilty pleasures you don’t get enough of: favorite foods, a trashy television show, a bubble bath or a new book. Pamper yourself, guilt-free.
4. You’re going to save money. Valentine’s Day, with its romantic dinners, flowers, gifts and (occasionally) sexy lingerie, can get pricey. Instead, count your financial blessings and buy those chocolates half price on the 15th.
5. You can spend it with your Hollywood crush. Who needs a boyfriend when you’ve got a Leo DiCaprio movie marathon lined up? (Invite friends over who share the same crush and swoon together.)
6. You can roll your eyes at other couples. They won’t even notice.
7. You can escape the fake holiday’s commercialism without disappointing your partner. It’s easy to shrug Valentine’s Day off as a Hallmark-created one – until there’s someone in your life who’s not-so-secretly hoping you’ve made a reservation at the most romantic spot in town.
8. You can celebrate where you’re at right now. You’re not in a bad relationship. The future is open to endless beautiful possibilities. Choose hope, rather than self-pity.
9. You can eat those chocolates in sweatpants, a way more comfortable option than doing so in a cocktail dress. Related: You don’t have to squeeze into a cocktail dress.
10. You won’t get dumped on Valentine’s Day