So by increasing my biking and running time, I have increased reflection time and I've spent time reflecting on past triathlons since I'm training and such. The walk down memory lane has taken me down the paths of "Transitions: In & Out or Sit & Update Facebook?", "To Train or Not To Train: The Art of Irrational Rationalization", and my favorite trodden path of all, "They Said WHAT?! Things You Should Say To Me if You Want Your Goggles/Bike/Timing Chip Shoved Up Your...."
Here are my top 5 favorite comments made to me during, after, and when talking tris. And, yes, it's all true. You can't make this stuff up, people.
5. You do triathlons? Seriously? YOU? Like swim, bike, AND run?
4. Why don't you compete in Athena? You obviously could.
3. No, really, you do the WHOLE thing?? Not just, like, a relay leg?
2. I've always wanted to do that. I never thought I could, but if you can.....
1. LEFT! Come on! You gotta show them big girls can do this too!
Ahh...good times. Good times. Lol!
And it's all good. Really, it is. Those "words of wisdom" are great for comic relief when we're all sitting around swapping war stories and showing off our scars. And they're a constant reminder that everyone has a bit of triathlete in them, no matter their size, gender, hours logged in at the gym, physical stature, or even ability.
I prove that every time I cross a finish line.