I don’t like to talk about my program as losing weight. I like to focus on the health benefits. I joined the 2013 5% Winter Challenge and one of the countdown assignments is to list the reasons why you want to lose weight.
I offer my reasons here.
1. Most important, I want to improve my health. In the last 10 years, I have developed some health issues. I have to take high blood pressure medicine. Because of the high blood pressure medicine, I have to take potassium. This year I had an episode of gout.
2. I’m pretty sure I’m the oldest person living in my building. I don’t want to be the fattest person, too.
3. I would like to not have people wince when they have to sit next to me on the bus or an airplane.
4. I didn’t like living in fear that the airplane seatbelt wouldn’t fit me and I’d have to ask for an extension.
5. I am sick of scanning every room I enter to see if I’m the fattest one.
6. It has never been easy for me to buy clothes. I would like to be able to wear a normal size (16 or under) so I can at least get petite clothes. When I was in high school (back in the Stone Age), a size 14 was pretty hard to find. And there were no larger sizes in women’s petite. I didn’t get thinner, the rest of America got fatter.
7. I don’t want to look like such an _____________________ (fill in what you want here, an American, a gringa, old lady, helpless target for a robber) when I travel.
8. I don’t want to be weak or helpless.
9. I don’t like feeling like I’m out of control. I don’t like my addiction being so apparent to anyone who sees me.
10. I got sick of wishing harm to my body . . . like wishing for a medical condition being the reason why I am fat.
11. I want to enjoy robust good health as long as possible. There is a history of longevity in my family. I want to be mobile for as long as I can.
12. I want to enjoy walking and exploring my city. With each increment of weight loss, I’m able to go a little further and enjoy a little more.
13. I want to enjoy my reflection in the mirror.
14. I want to have energy and vitality.
15. I want to release myself from this prison.
16. I want to have the health benefits that come with a healthy weight.
17. I want to have increased self-confidence.
18. I want to be able to buy clothes that look good on me.
19. I want to enjoy shopping for clothes.
20. I want to improve my workouts and my yoga practice.
I add the Mona Lisa for your inspiration (and mine) because she is unique in her beauty. I want to feel unique in my beauty and working on my healthy goals is helping me do that.
Artist: Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)
Title: The Mona Lisa (or La Joconde, La Gioconda).
Date: between 1503 and 1505
Medium: oil on poplar wood
Dimensions: 76.8 × 53 cm (30.2 × 20.9 in)
Current location Louvre Museum, Department of Paintings: Salle des États