Friday, February 08, 2013
One bite at a time, that's how the saying goes. I suppose that this mantra is going to be very applicable to my journey. Literally, I will be progressing on this weight-loss and lifestyle journey one bite at a time by planning my meals and keeping a food journal. More figuratively, I've broken down my ultimate goal into smaller, more achievable goals (or bites of the said elephant, so to speak). Comically, well, I'm sure I don't need to point out the size of an elephant.
Ultimately, I hope to lose 12kg and subsequently go from a hefty 74kg to a svelte 62kg. I've broken down this huge (excuse the pun!) goal into the following smaller goals:
1. Break the 70kg weight barrier. This weight has always been a mental watershed for me, the difference between being an almost acceptable weight and having totally let myself go.
2. Reach 67kg. I've set my SP weight tracker up to reflect this. I kind of chose it as the halfway point of my total weightloss goal after reading a SP article about breaking goals into smaller, more manageable goals. 67kg seems so achievable now and it's nice to see my little running man on the tracker actually making noticeable progress.
3. Break the 65kg barrier. Another mental watershed; this would put me in the 'lower 60's' category.
4. Reach 62kg. Once I've achieved the 67kg goal I will reset my tracker to track my progress to this goal.
5. Maintain 62kg. Probably one of the most difficult goals of all (even though the weightloss part already seems like the most difficult thing I've ever done).
So yes, those are my weightloss goals, in manageable chunks. I've set similar exercise achievements goals but I won't go through them right now. If you want to see them they are on my Sparkpage.
I'm looking forward to the opportunities to start ticking each of these manageable weightloss and exercise goals off, one by one. One bite at a time.