Tuesday, February 05, 2013
For those who are aware & MIGHT actually care.... I had an MRI the other day (1-30-12). I got the results TODAY. The MRI findings are: (comparison from 3 years ago)
1. Some mild degenerative changes of the lumbar spine. Disc dessication minimal disc bulge at L3-L4 w/ little change. (was 2mm 3 yrs ago)
2. L5-S1 has some facet arthropathy. A small synovial cyst is seen adjacent to the left facet measuring 4.6 x 3mm. Abuts the posterior exiting left L5 nerve root.
Now translation is...
1. There has been changes from 3 yrs ago. My disc between L3-L4 has dried out, & leaked. The bulge has not increased much..probably cause it has leaked out and nothing left to bulge.
2. The fluid that leaked from my disc created a cyst further down my spine which is pressing on one of my nerves, and has caused some joint disease in that area.
So..I am F%$#ed. Or at least in my mind. Everything I have researched shows/states that it may get worse, and in order to get ANY kind of relief I must now have surgery which may include removal of disc and fusing of spine, get injections in my back not allowed more then 3 times a year, or get it drained by needle repeatedly.
Sooo....NOT happening. :-
** I have continued to run all this time before I ever got the MRI & found this crap out. Pain and everything. That will not change. All research says keeping active is the best thing to do..if not it will increase pain wise. It may make it degenerate faster if I stop moving.I wish I would have never got the MRI...I waited almost 1.5 months before I finally said OK fine Ill do it!! I have went 3 years getting progressively worse. All I want is the pain to stop. Now I know why...I have never taken anything for it before...and I am not going to now. My dr called this morning she wants me to go get bloodwork and then follow up w/ her. SO we can discuss what the MRI says. I went and got results from the place myself. I dont even want to see her. I dont want to hear what she has to say. I am in the....I give up stage. Give up meaning...I will keep going until it kills me. That is NOT a good stage. I have children. I will NOT have surgery..but only other options are needles, or staying still (they recommend biking)..both of which are not happening.**
For my dessicated disc...there is nothing there. Nothing to help w/that. So I either wait until it breaks down & becomes bone on bone and then get it fused or do something NOW. Then as far as the cyst I either get shots of pain meds in my back or get the fluid taken out w/ needle. Either way it does not "fix" it but instead just covers it up & will be a continuing thing where I have to go often for either. Of course unless they go in an remove the cyst.