My first time to participate in a HLC
Sunday, February 03, 2013
My name is Renee. I am 38 years old and live in Arkansas. One of the sparkteams I am on is 30 something's with 100 pounds to lose. There is a challenge that starts tomorrow called 'Getting Ready for Spring HLC'. HLC stands for Healthy Living Challenge. Like other challenges I have seen on SP this one starts with your starting weight and measurements which I will take in the morning and post on the appropriate team thread (I will try to remember to edit and add to this post if I can). The challenge also has points you can earn for other various challenges like making blog posts etc which seem a bit overwhelming to keep up with all the different points but that may be because this is my first time on the challenge - so I'm going to give it a GO!! The team challenge for this week is goal setting - you can post this in the team chat thread or in a blog - hence my first blog post!!!
GOALS for the HLC challenge over the next 8 weeks:
1. To drink at least 64 oz of water per day.
2. To exercise 60 minutes per day 5 days per week
3. To lose 5 pounds and bust through my plateau
I got serious about my weight loss about 6 months ago and did well losing over 35 pounds in that time but then came the holidays....I have hit some form of a plateau and cannot seem to shake it. When I do see success on the scale in the form of a loss - I will immediately gain 2 pounds and then it's a vicious cycle of trying to get back down to the loss. So my hopes are that this challenge will help with that.
How I will reach these goals:
1. I carry a 64oz container with water to work daily but I rarely finish it during the work day - so starting tomorrow I will focus on finishing that 64oz bottle before I leave work which will also help me to drink more water to replenish what I am losing during workouts.
2. I attend a 60 minute bootcamp class two days per week, a 60 minute step aerobics class one day per week and on the other two days per week I will vary those with at home workouts. I would like to do this by walk/run outside or on my treadmill or I may use various DVD workouts that I have to change it up.
3. Taking my lunch each day and cutting out the 'out to eat habit'. Logging my calories each day (I do this via an app on my phone myfitnesspal) and keeping true to my workout schedule I hope to succeed in busting this plateau and seeing that scale go down instead of the constant yo-yo effect.
Also in this HLC there is a bonus challenge to actually start working on the goals - which will begin tomorrow - I will earn points for each day that I work on my goals. Last but not least are participation points for each day you check in with your team and say hello!
It seems like a lot to keep up with but like I said this is my first time so maybe after a week or so it will get easier keeping up with all the points and ways to earn them. I am looking forward to this journey over the next 8 weeks!
UPDATE STARTING NUMBERS: