20,000-24,999 SparkPoints 20,017

The Rule of 1%

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Hey Everyone,

The Rule of 1% is simple: Improve yourself 1% every day, every week, every month, just keep on improving.

Not sure where I picked this up, maybe Anthony Robbins maybe someone else. It works in any area of your life, physical, mental, social, emotional, whatever. You pick a part of your life you would like to improve then list the areas you would like to improve in. There can be as many as you like.

Let's use me as an example. I want to improve my physical fitness. I chose 5 areas in which I needed improvement; lower weight, improved muscle tone, improved cardio endurance, improved flexibility, and improved health indicators (BP, Resting Heart Rate, Lower LDL, Higher HDL, triglycerides, VO2). As with any journey I had have a starting point, I had to take measurements to create a baseline.

Then I set goals: Get down to 160 lbs, Strength train 3 days/wk, do at least 1 hour of cardio 6 days/wk, Stretch 6 days/wk, be ready by December 31, 2013 to compete in the Gasparilla Half- Marathon in Tampa in January 2014.

How do I get there? I improve by 1% each week and create monthly markers.

It takes a little work with a calculator, but here is an example. I take my starting number, say for my weight (238 lbs) and subtract my target weight (160 lbs), that equals 78 pounds. 1% of 78 = .78 lbs. To hit my goal by my target date (December 31) I divide 78lbs/52wks = 1.5 lbs/wk. So this is my range .78-1.5 lbs/wk. So, if I lose 3.1-6 pounds per month I'm improving by at least 1%.

I do a similar sort of calculation for each of my goals and use my health markers to check my progress on the 1st of each month. I don't obsess over the numbers as long as I keep improving. I don't weigh every day or even every week. Once a month on the 1st of the month. That's it. As long as I walk a little farther, run a little longer, ride a few minutes more each week on the bike, swim a few more yards in the pool each day, build up my endurance, increase my speed, lower my blood pressure, improve my cholesterol numbers, etc... I'm happy.

For me, it's easy. Follow the Rule of 1%.

Until Next time, JUICE to you all.

Jonny Mac
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • BENE38464
    I read this with enjoyment! I wanted to mention the "80/20 Rule" in this regard. The 80/20 Rule states that only 20% of what we do really matters. So better focus on this 20%. If something has to go from the schedule, just don't let it be from the 20%! Another view is that 20% of the things we do get 80% of the results...So focus on that 20%!

    Alternatively, every day, focus 80% of your time and energy on the 20% that matters. (I like to interpret this in my own way...if I eat right 80% of the time, I can relax some for the other 20%. LOL!)

    Joking aside, I do think there is something to be said for the incremental approach! As at the age of 76 I am still working, doing my own housework, errands, playing music for three church services per weekend, etc., and taking college courses on line, I never would get finished if I didn't do things this way!
    1258 days ago
    I believe like you do. I should be always improving some aspect of my life, not just living status quo! A 1% improvement day to day, and over time turns out to be a significant improvement t as it starts to compound! Nice!
    1872 days ago
    Laymen's terms works best for me. I can certainly handle "baby steps".
    1873 days ago
  • SAILOR64
    the Rule of 1% boils down to this... baby steps consistently every day.
    1873 days ago
    1873 days ago
    Okay that seems wayyy to complicated to me but I am so glad it clicks for you. Here is to your Rule of 1%:
    emoticon emoticon
    1873 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.