Saturday, January 26, 2013
So I'm in this Biggest Loser Competiton and been sick for almost 2 weeks, gone for a week and totally frustrated. I had to skip my personal trainer on Tuesday due to coughing my head off so today I'm feeling some better and decide to go to the gym to the boot camp. Dreaded the thought but forced myself to go.
I walk in and there is an old guy at the desk who doesn't know anything about where it is going to be and what time or should I have paid in advance. I see another biggest loser member wearing her t-shirt so I sit next to her on the bike. She is frustrated as well and more overweight than I am.
There is no visible clock in front of the bikes and so I just keep rolling along. I have to turn my head to see the clock and discover it is almost 11:00 and the bootcamp was supposed to start at 10:45. So I get up and look in the exercise room but those folks in there are too skinny to be in this competition. So I ask and someone says it is out back. Out back? What does that mean, where out back?
I run into Heather who is the nutrition coach and ask her. I tell her how frustrated I am and she says that most people go up and down in weight. Then she tells me to go out back. How do I get there? I finally walk around the buiding and there are about 25 people jumping up and down and sideways in the parking lot. Another woman comes by and says she is late as well and invites me in. I watch for a min and I am totally uncomfortable and embarrassed so I just turn and leave and go home.
So why do old fat women avoid gyms
1. Old fat men don't seem to care about them and certainly not interested in helping them.
2. When you go to a crowded gym, unless you have a personal trainer, you are helpless as to know what to do.
3. I might be old and fat but I am also a strong woman who likes to be in control. I am nowhere near being in control of myself at the gym.
4. I thought I was on a team. There is no team organization, no team leader, and I haven't been contacted by anyone. When you are on a team, aren't there supposed to be other people?
5. I've pretty much decided if its to be its up to me. I am going to go to my personal trainer on Tuesdays, tell her what I think and then I am going to go to the YMCA on the other days.
First I have to get over being sick.