21 Day Vegan Adventure: Day 22!
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
The 21 Day Vegan Kickstart is over and I am pleased to say that I am going to stick with the "spirit" of the vegan diet from here on out. It may never be at 100% but the focus away from meat/dairy has been an effective way to make more room in my diet for vegetables, whole grains and fruit. And that was my goal all along. I did it!
In three short weeks I have been able to shift my focus from "do I want chicken, beef or fish?" to "what vegetable, grain, fruit, bean and/or legume am I going to have?" Other positives include:
1. Fewer cravings. While this month's PMS still had some unsettling perimenopausal symptoms, chocolate/salt cravings weren't included! Overall, I find that sugar/fat don't call to me as much. Perhaps that is the honeymoon period of a new diet but I am guessing it will be the same next month. We'll see.
2. Skin is better. I look less puffy and didn't have any pre-period eruptions this month. None.
3. More energy. I have more of a spring in my step. I am still a slow runner and don't love, love, love exercise. But my attitude is a far cray from the months of whining, "I can't do this" as I dragged my sorry butt through another workout. Better fuel equals better workouts.
4. Weightloss. After 21 days of semi following the plan, I have lost eight pounds. I can only imagine what the weightloss would have been if I followed it to the letter. During the last three weeks, I had a couple of slivers of pizza. I had cheese. I had ice cream. I had brownies. I cooked with oil. I used butter. I drank wine. These weren't the norm; they were occasional off-plan things and they didn't effect my ability to lose weight. Which leads me to...
5. I have learned to savor. One tiny sliver of pizza was enough. One square of really good chocolate was enough. For the last nine months, I have been in the habit of inhaling food, not tasting it. Now I am beginning to have a healthier relationship with food. I am also willing to experiment with different foods and flavors.
6. I can do this!