Tuesday, January 22, 2013
If you really can't succeed without failing, I see a lot of success in my future.
So here's what happened. It's Tuesday. That means bootcamp. Yes, the dreaded bootcamp. For those of you who don't know, bootcamp is an hour of torture. That's the best way to describe it. You pretzel your body in ways you never knew you could, you do cardio like a professional athlete and you swing around 10lb. jump ropes and 15lb. kettle bells, well, because you can. Did I mention you do this willingly for fun?
My job offers it every Tuesday for FREEEEEE. How can you pass up free exercise with a licensed personal trainer? I don't know how but I'm starting to think any sane person should. Every time I go, I struggle. All the core group has been going for three years so I'm like the lame sober person who shows up three hours into the party of the century. I spend most of my time trying to keep up and not feel like a total jackass. But when it's over, I'm still standing every single time.
Then we arrive at today. I knew I was in trouble when I walked upstairs to our exercise space and my legs felt like lead three stairs in. Uh oh. So we start warming up. Walk and walk and walk and...oh I need a break. Everyone keeps walking past me. Now time to run stairs. Are you f'in kidding me? I'm about to pass out. Now walk all the way to that door doing lunges. Yeah. Ok. here I go. Maybe not. My knees don't want to do that today. Hey everybody, look at me. I'm about to barf.
Trainer: O.K. You're done. I can't let you work out looking and feeling like this. You can walk for 15 minutes but you need to get some rest.
But. But. But...I walk for 15 minutes then slink away in shame. Now I'm sitting here wondering WHAT. THE. HELL. HAPPENED???!!!!
We certainly didn't do anything worse than normal. I just felt off. I seriously felt like I could barely move my body. I've eaten fairly well for the past week so that's not it.
Here's what it could be.
1. I went to the gym really late last night because I worked until 10:30. Didn't get home until about 12:30 a.m.
2. I worked out really hard at the gym. I've been pushing myself to increase the intensity of my cardio by adding five minutes of steps.
3. I couldn't fall asleep last night. It was almost 3:45 a.m. Stupid insomnia.
4. I wasn't too excited about boot camp. Maybe I sabotaged myself with a bad attitude.
5. Am I working my body too hard? I've been thinking five days of hard cardio is too much for the shape I'm in. Should I go to four days? (Been doing it for six months now)
6. Maybe I'm too old for bootcamp.
7. I've had a rough couple of days emotionally. Could this affect me physically?
8. The last couple of times I've worked out at the gym, I've felt nauseous. Maybe there is something else going on with me.
I'm at a loss here. Should I quit? What should I do differently? Should I have sat when I knew I was feeling physically rundown? I just don't want to make excuses for myself so I push maybe when I should not. I would appreciate any opinions or input.