Saturday, January 19, 2013
I recently had someone ask me about my "recipe for success", so I thought about it and came up with some tips that I could give him, things that have helped me along the way.
I thought that since I had taken the time to write them down, I might as well share them with all of my friends. Of course I'm sure you all probably know these and follow them anyway, but still, I wanted to put them down for posterity. This way, if a new member comes along and asks for advice, I can point to this blog instead of trying to remember these tips each time :)
1. Drink lots of water! Flushes the system and helps you to feel full.
2. Cut back the carb intake. Carbs give you some quick energy, but don't really help you to feel full unless you have a lot of them.
3. Up the protein and fiber intake. Protein and fiber will help you to feel full longer which helps keep you from snacking.
4. Don't try to be perfect. Instead try to be consistent. having 20-30 minutes a day of activity is better than killing yourself everyday then burning out after a few weeks.
5. Find what works for you. We're all built differently and we respond to different stimuli, you have to figure out what your best path is.
6. Try to curb the negative self talk. Most of us have that inner voice that tells us that we are not worth the effort. When that voice speaks up, tell it "NO, I AM WORTH IT", and say something good about yourself. Believing in yourself can be difficult after years of self loathing so be prepared to "fake it 'til you make it"!
7. Set small goals. Don't try to wrap your mind around needing to lose 100 lbs or more, it's too big and seems impossible. Instead set your goal in 10lb increments (use 5 lbs if you need to). It's a lot easier to work towards losing 10 lbs than it is 100 lbs. Once you've lost 10 lbs you will have more confidence in yourself because you have achieved a goal and proven to yourself that you can do it!